What is Mail doing on my iPad?

For some reason some time ago Apple introduced these ‘Windows’ in iPadOS. I don’t know why but these things drive me nutters! Whenever I try to reply to an email, every couple of keystrokes my ‘window’ gets minimized and disappears, and I have no clue when or why that happens. But it is often! The only way I know of to obtain the list of currently open windows is by quitting mail and opening it again and there they are at the bottom of the screen. What is their purpose? I don’t understand them and they drive me mad.
Is there any way to get rid of this ‘feature’? Or should I move to another email program?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Best, Minus

You can also tap the three dots at the top center of the screen to reveal the open windows without closing and reopening the app. You can then swipe up on any non-gray window to close them.

Is there any way to get rid of this ‘feature’? Or should I move to another email program?

This is part of multitasking, and I don’t think you can turn that off. And I think that any email app will support opening multiple windows. Outlook, for example, also supports multiple windows.

1 Like

You can also tap the three dots at the top center of the screen to reveal the open windows without closing and reopening the app.

Thank you for explaining this. I had the same experience (and frustration) as the OP. Until I realized the windows were disappearing because of an accidental touch outside the message window, I thought it was a bug and what I was typing was lost.