What Goes Into a Major Conference Keynote Demo

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/06/26/what-goes-into-a-major-conference-keynote-demo/

When you watch a product demo during the keynote of a conference like WWDC, the presenter may make it seem effortless, but Adobe’s Khoi Vinh reveals that good demos require months of preparation.

It’s interesting the hardware failure he mentions that happened during the keynote was the trackpad breaking down by not reacting to input anymore. I’ve had many different portable Macs and the one thing I have never experienced is the trackpad becoming unresponsive. It has locked up sure, but that’s because the entire system (or rather its GUI) locked up. But I cannot recall the trackpad hardware of one of my Macs ever failing. I’m sure it can happen. But so far never to me.

(Although I guess now I jinxed it. Expect trackpad to fail in 3,2,1…)

Yeah, I was surprised by that too, but it’s possible that it was something else entirely, and in the (incredibly stressful) moment, he interpreted the problem as being related to the trackpad. It could have been the entire Mac freezing too, not that that’s common either.

Murphy’s Law!