What APFS Does for You, and What You Can Do with APFS

What is the earliest OS that will force you to APFS?

Diane

Catalina for all drives. I believe Mojave for SSDā€™s, but I would recommend using APFS for High Sierra SSDā€™s but not a Fusion drive.

1 Like

When I installed an SSD on an aging MacBook running High Sierra it automatically formatted the SSD as APFS.

When I replaced the optical drive in that same MacBook with an SSD it left the formatting choice to me. After doing some online searching to gain opinions/advice on how best to format a drive used to replace an optical drive I was unable to find solid advice one way or another. In the end I opted to format that SSD as APFS as well and so far have not come up against anything suggesting that was a poor choice.

Thanks - I need to upgrade my 2015 MBPr to HS for TurboTax, so thatā€™s a SSD. Will there be issues with files if I do that? How about my external drives that are not SSD?

(I had started a thread on this the other day but got no responses, feel free to respond there if you think itā€™s more appropriate.

Thanks!

Diane

Not at all. Files are exactly the same no matter how the drive is formatted.

No impact. Time Machine drives must be HFS+, regardless of whether they are spinners or SSDs.

1 Like