Verizon discontinuing 3G network

If Verizon is indeed taking down their 3G network by the end of the year, that means older iPhones will no longer work? I’ve always kept my 4s as a backup. We found this out accidentally when my SO’s flip phone started acting up and he tried to activate one of his spares and was unable to. I was going to give him my iPhone to get by, but if what I read is correct, that won’t activate either.

Diane

According to CDMA Network Activation Retirement yes, they are shutting down 3G at the end of 2019 and they’ve already stopped activating iPhones before the 5s (including the 5c). I don’t know what that means for using an already activated device as a phone, you know, for talking. When AT&T shut down their 2G network in 2017, I guess that did cut off the original iPhone from cellular service.

The iPhone 4s is supposed to be a “world phone” that supports both CDMA and GSM so maybe you can use it with a carrier other than Verizon. AT&T’s 3G map looks more thorough than Verizon’s anyway and they haven’t announced a schedule for shutting down 3G.

The article I read leads me to believe current phones won’t work when the network goes down. Verizon started selling 4G/LTE flip phones last year in preparation for this. My SO is thinking he may get a used iPhone rather than spend $120 on a new flip phone.

I know he’ll have to get a data plan - the real question is if his current plan will also be discontinued the end of the year. He only pays $30/month right now. My iPhone plan is $51.97 with taxes.

Diane