Ventura Mail - turn off attachment reminder?

You may have noticed that if you compose a mail with a word like receipt or attachment in it and try to send it, Mail now pops up a dialog asking you if meant to attach a document, which is dismissed by clicking (this is so bloody Windows-like! There’ll be a paperclip with bugeyes before we know it.) on Send Anyway. This is driving my wife mad. She has to send lots of e-mails including the word ‘receipt’ since she runs a charity. She’s also a child psychiatrist, so phrases like ‘attachment disorder’ get used a fair bit. Each time Mail pops up it’s blasted dialog, and she is swearing at her mac more than ever.
Is there any way to turn off this pestilential behaviour?

No one? I can’t be the only person wondering about this. I sent feedback to Apple:

There should be a way to turn these off. Any text in a message that says ‘receipt’ or ‘attachment’ gets a dialog thrown up saying one forgot to attach a file.
My wife runs a charity, and has to send lots of e-mails containing the word receipt, though actual receipts are sent by post. Each gets that blasted dialog. In her day job, she’s a child psychiatrist. Yes, the term ‘attachment disorder’ comes up a lot. And guess what? More dialogs!
She is swearing at her mac more than ever before, and as her support person it is causing me grief. Can we please make this behaviour optional?
Thank you for trying to save our marriage.
C.

Maybe by making it humorous someone will pass it around the office and something will get done.

No idea how to do it in Apple Mail. I am using MailMate and it has the same reminder, and it saved me several times, but it allows you to switch it off and configure which words trigger this warning.

Not using Ventura yet myself, but I was curious about this. A quick search showed a lot of different articles and forum posts going back to October mentioning it, and all were complaints about it except for a few that simply described it as a new feature.

In addition to reminding about a possible missing attachment, it also interrupts your attempt to send by telling you that you may have forgotten a recipient if you merely mention another email address in your content or use one in your signature.

However this new “feature” apparently does not have any way to turn it off or adjust its settings so that in cases where it’s popping up notices to almost every email you want to send, you’re simply stuck with it.

Wish I could still say I’m shocked by decisions like this from Apple.

Not using Ventura yet but assuming this is similar to the box that pops up when I send an email without a subject line. I just hit enter and it goes away (I also use the keyboard shortcuts for sending etc). Do you have that option in Ventura?

Diane

I’ve had such warnings provided to me by MailButler for years now and welcomed it. Prevented me from forgetting to include a planned attachment more than once. Have no interest in turning it off at this time.

As I mentioned, I’m not using Ventura so don’t see this myself, but the point isn’t only that there’s no way to turn it off if you wanted to, but that in Apple’s implementation of it in Mail, it appears to be overly aggressive and offers no way to adjust it for either missing attachment or missing recipient reminders.

I only recently upgraded to Ventura and after several weeks have discovered a similar “feature” that initially looks like a bug. Seemingly at random, emails I had sent a few days ago pop up in my InBox with no explanation. When I checked on the Apple Community site, I found it was a feature reminding me of email I had sent that had not been answered. The explanation was:

"This is part of a new feature. Seems like sent mail that doesn’t get a reply has this new reminder, which you can turn off: Reply to, forward, or follow up on emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

"Get reminded to follow up on emails with no response

If you send a message and don’t receive a response in 3 days, the sent email automatically resurfaces to the top of your inbox to help you remember to follow up.

• To ignore a follow-up suggestion, swipe right on the message in the message list.
  • To turn this feature on or off, choose Mail > Settings, click General, then select or deselect the checkbox next to “Enable message follow up suggestions.”"

It’s been useful a couple of times, but it would have been more useful if it identified what it was. And now that I know what it’s supposed to be doing, it appears to post “reminders” only for a few of my mails that go unanswered. I can see where it would be useful, but it would be a lot more useful if

1. It put a flag on the email to say explain why it popped up in my InBox
  2. If it was consistent in flagging emails (or you could set the feature to remind you if you wanted it)
2 Likes

Turns out there is a potentially serious bug in the “follow up suggestions” feature in Apple Mail, depending on how you process your mail. When Mail alerts you to follow up, it moves the mail from the Sent box to your InBox. So if you don’t care about getting a reply and delete what you think is a copy of what you sent, you actually are deleting the original copy that had been in the Sent Box, and the message is gone. That can be a nasty bug if you make that logical assumption that the message is copied from your sent box into the In box and you delete what you think is an unneeded copy. I just did that but was able to recover it by looking into the Trash.