Using AirPods and wired headphones at the same time?

Is there any simple way to get a Mac to output sound to both wired headphones and AirPods at the same time? If say, two people want to watch something on the same Mac and one of them has AirPods.

You can set it up via the Audio Midi Setup Utility. It’s a bit complex, but see the steps at https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/output-mac-audio-two-pairs-headphones/. I followed the steps and am currently listening with one headphone from a wired set in one ear and an Airpod in the other.

1 Like

Many thanks, Alan. That’s exactly what I was I looking for. :slight_smile:

Hi,

What is the reason for using a wired headphone and an AirPod at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Here you go.

The only problem I have had with two headphone setups is that if they are not the same model of headphone, the volume output may be significantly different. This would be the one being loud or too soft and the other being normal.

Good point. With such a combined audio device there no longer appears to be volume control. So how do you go about adjusting volume? iTunes of course has a volume setting, but how do you balance the two different outputs?

Rogue Amoeba software, like Loopback, may allow you to control volume on multiple audio outputs.

I’m no audiophile, but when I tested with an Airpod in one ear and a Bose pod from my QC20 (with Noise Canceling off) in the other, it seemed balanced.

Rogue Amoeba’s Airfoil should give you the level of control that you seek.

2 Likes