USB-C enclosure for 5TB 2.5-inch drive?

Do any of you know of such a thing? This drive appears to be 14 mm thick, and most of the 2.5-inch drive enclosures I’m seeing only support up to a 9.5 mm drive.

Thoughts?

I don’t have any experience with a sufficiently thick 2.5" drive enclosure. But if you just need to access the disk and aren’t too worried about enclosing it, a simple SATA-USB interface will get the job done. There are both powered and unpowered. These two have worked fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SGRBVB7/

1 Like

Yeah, most enclosures are designed for laptop drives, which are not that thick. Server-class 2.5" drives are thicker, and it looks like you have one of them.

An Amazon search seems to have found several enclosures that can accommodate 15mm drives. You might want to look at some of them.

You could instead get a 3.5" adapter bracket and mount the drive in an enclosure meant for 3.5" drives.

That having been said, note the following (for any external HDD enclosure, not just your situation):

• Be sure the enclosure can support your drive’s capacity. In particular, the USB mass storage spec defines different APIs for accessing blocks. All enclosures will have a 32-bit API, but that will limit you to drives of 2TB or less. You need an enclosure that supports the 64-bit API, which will be able to handle any drive you can find.

Since you’ve got a 5TB drive, make sure the enclosure documents support for 5TB or more. Otherwise, you may find yourself unable to access its entire capacity.

• If the drive will see 24x7 use (e.g. connected to a computer that is rarely powered off), get an enclosure with a cooling fan. High capacity/high performance drives tend to get hot and a passively cooled enclosure may not be able to keep up with it over time.

When a drive overheats, you may see it spontaneously go off-line, it may suffer extreme performance problems, or you may see other issues. None of which are good.

But if your drive will only occasionally be used (e.g. connect it, work with it for a few hours, then disconnect it), then passive cooling might be OK.

• A 15mm drive may draw more current than a bus-powered enclosure can provide. And some computers don’t provide a lot of USB power to begin with. So you may want to consider an enclosure with an associated power supply.

Yes, needing to plug it in to mains power can be a pain, but so can flaky behavior resulting from an underpowered power supply.

3 Likes

I have an older one from Oyen Digital, which is USB 3 and eSATA, but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore. I have 4TB 15mm backup drives in the two that I have. They work OK without an AC adapter, but I only use them with powered hubs. There are AC cords for them, but I’ve already managed to misplace one of them.

However, I just found this on the Oyen site:
MiniPro External 2.5-inch eSATA, USB-C External Hard Drive Enclosure

Well, crap. I just tried to buy one myself and it is discontinued.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I did some searching of my own, and found a couple options. One, from an outfit called DockCase, with a little LED screen on it:

https://www.amazon.com/DOCKCASE-Visual-Enclosure-Silicone-External/dp/B0BMFJR3FV/

That was $50+ on sale though, so I settled on this one:

…for about $25. Interesting how hard it is to find models that support a 15mm drive though…

Thanks again,
John

2 Likes

I got my 4TB laptop drives on sale from OWC, not realizing they wouldn’t fit in any of the enclosures I had. I had one of those Oyen Digital USB3/eSATA enclosures around housing an old 1.5GB 15mm drive, so I evicted the old drive and used that enclosure and bought another.

Nice. Bus-powered, with an option for AC power for when you find yourself without a sufficiently-powered USB port. I’d consider that the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

I really, really wish I could find that missing AC cord. I know what it looks like because I still have the other one. Time for another search…