UK only: Observation with BT Smarthub and EPSON printer

I know that this forum has British readers, so here’s an observation about the BT Smart Hub, the very common router British Telecom supplies with their broadband packages.

Brand-new M1 iMac running Ventura.
Installing an EPSON ET2850 ran into a deadlock, the printer was recognised over WiFi, but installation ended with an error message. Switching off IPP (or rather IPPS) over https:// on the printer made the reactions much faster, but still ended in an error.
Printing from iOS worked already.

We switched the BT Smart Hub to a lower spec WiFi mode.

In Mode 2 it works on the Mac but not with iOS.
In Mode 3 it works with iOS, but not the Mac.

We ended with connecting the Mac on an Ethernet cable, instead of WiFi.

During the installation we saw a message that “An update for AirPrint is required. Yes/No.” I’m not sure if this comes from macOS or some EPSON function and I couldn’t find out what it is. We did this, but it didn’t improve the situation.

Never a dull moment with BT’s hardware, heavily advertised as latest and greatest, but in reality not anyway near that.

2 Likes

There really isn’t. They do some really, really strange things that break otherwise perfectly functioning setups. We always rip them out first thing. I always recommend others use the combination of a Draytek v130 (or its newest equivalent) and your own choice of standard Ethernet router configured for PPPoE on its WAN port. That will give you real choice and flexibility. And, of course, escape DSL/VDSL when you get the chance!

1 Like

Does it still have smart setup switch for wireless? Turning that off used to help.

This is probably no help but AirPrint is the Apple-provided driver, not part of Epson installs. In any dialog where you can choose your printer you should see both AirPrint and Epson versions of the printer. So when you say it didn’t help, I wonder if you tried selecting it - ? I rename the AirPrint drivers so I can tell the difference - the AirPrint versions have less features, eg double-sided. It doesn’t look like I’ve installed AirPrint on Ventura so things might be different.

I have Epson printers and a BT hub but I suspect mine is probably a lot older than yours. I gave the wireless printer an Ethernet cable a long time ago but it did work before that, except for being on the edge of the hub’s range and it occasionally going offline.

@adieb Thanks, yes this is usually one of the first things I turn off. Many WiFi routers have similar features that select automatically the best WiFi channel. The problem is that the way how they determine “best” is not a standardised WiFi protocol, each and every manufacturer believes to know best what should be best. (The one notable exception are Fritz!Box routers by AVM, in the UK supplied by the ISP ZEN. Their auto channel section seems to work well. Maybe because of Made in Germany. :de:)

@galexa The only driver offered, even after installing everything that EPSON offers on their support webpages, was an AirPrint driver. I’m aware about this choice between manufacturer supplied drivers and Apple’s AirPrint. We do however see the full set of features.