Threads jumping back a post during scrolling

Starting several days ago, I’ve been seeing threads jump back as I scroll through them. It has happened in several threads, and when it happens, it often happens repeatedly. For example, after I read post Storing documents securely - other than 1Password - #11 by ddmiller and continued to scroll down, that post would jump to the top of the screen. It happened about four times. Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

That happened to me, too, once or twice in the last few days. I don’t recall the specific post(s). Since it only happened once or twice, I didn’t try to investigate. I’ll comment if it happens again.

I’m seeing this too, and not just here.

Hmm! I haven’t seen this in Arc, but Discourse does do some funky stuff with scrolling because topics can get so long. See if you can catch it in the act and also note what browser you’re using and see if it happens in another one.

In fact it is happening right now in the text box for this reply! This is clearly a bug since the only way I was even able to compose this message was to write it in an external editor and quickly paste it in!

(This is on iOS mobile safari, but at least the main reading bug has appeared on macOS safari ans chrome as well.)

I think I may have just seen this while reading (not posting) using Firefox 130.0 on macOS 14.6.1 on a 2018 Mac mini.

I was reading comment 24 of the “Finale’s Finale” thread.

As I was reading it, comment 25 was posted, and the screen immediately scrolled to put the new comment at the top of the screen, forcing me to scroll back to what I was reading.

This sounds like a bug Discourse. And since I haven’t seen this before, I’m assuming it’s from a recent update.

I have not yet seen this on Arc, either. Arc is a Chrome-based browser.

Sorry for the radio silence. In a peculiar juxtaposition of circumstances, I’m in San Francisco without internet access.

It happened a few minutes ago in a thread I didn’t note, and it happened seconds ago in this thread, at two different points (on @defjaf’s second post and on @Matt_McCaffrey’s post above). I’m using Firefox 129.0.1 on a MacBook Air M1 running macOS Big Sur 11.7.10.

FWIW, when I saw the issue, I was running Edge (based on Chromium), so it does not look like this is an issue with a particular browser engine.

I still haven’t seen this despite very heavy Discourse usage, so I’d encourage someone who has to report it on meta.discourse.org.

1 Like

I have not seen the “jump back” behavior when I use the down arrow key to scroll. Of course, I cannot use both the trackpad (where the problem exists, sometimes) and the down arrow key (where I have not seen the problem) at the same point in the same thread at the same time to see if the down arrow key is really immune. I mention the different behavior in case it means something to someone more knowledgeable.