The new AirPods will read an audiogram!

Was playing with the new AirPod pros and there is a way for it to read an audiogram. Interestingly, Oct 1 hearing aids can be sold over the counter. I tried using it. It can read the audiogram from a picture or a file however the results were not good. It blasted my ears when I turned it on. I would like to see more information on this for those of us who are older, maybe wiser and definitely hard of hearing.

Paul

Can you just manually enter the numbers? Every audiogram Iā€™ve ever received has been so sloppily drawn, I can barely match them to the numbers.

You apparently can but I had difficulty understanding what numbers to add where. This was read from a clean Costco audiogram and I could not find any numbers in the phone that matched the audiogram. Nor the abbreviations. My audiogram was 4 years old so maybe printouts have changed.

About 18 months ago I followed the procedure in the link below to use an app called ā€œMimi Hearing Testā€ to create an audiogram right on my iPhone and apply it to the earbuds that I use. My hearing loss is not all profound (yet), but it seemed to make a noticeable difference for me.

1 Like

I programmed my audiogram in and it has made a big improvement in music listening.

Unfortunately, the hearing loss in my right ear is a good deal worse than the left, and the AirPods, even with the correct numbers in, canā€™t give enough upper frequency boost for that ear. I tried tweaking the numbers manually for the right ear to try and boost things more, but there was no change; I seemed to hit a ceiling.

So, Iā€™m surmising that the AirPods can help with mild to moderate hearing loss, but donā€™t have the capability of correcting more severe loss that a dedicated hearing aid canā€”which is understandable, given theyā€™re a much less expensive consumer device.

Update: After listening to music using my audiogram settings, I decided the music was a little too ā€˜brightā€™ (too much 8 kHz). To make this change I had to go through the process of importing the image of my audiogram then editing the numbers it scanned. This time I entered a slightly lower number for 8 kHz. The music now sounds great and my ā€˜Healthā€™ app shows two slightly different audiograms with different timestamps.

Original post: Here is how I manually entered some of the numbers from my audiogram. (Thanks to @ddmiller for the link). This only works for Apple and Beats headphones/Airpods. Connect your headphones before trying to adjust these settings. Go to Settings ā†’ Accessibility ā†’ Hearing>Audio/Visual ā†’ Headphone Accommodations ā†’ Custom Audio Setup. There you will have the option to ā€˜Use Audiogramā€™ or ā€˜Donā€™t Use Audiogramā€™. When I chose Use Audiogram it asked me if I wanted to import it from Camera, Photos, or Files. I had taken a photo of my audiogram from my audiologist so I imported it from Photos. My phone scanned the audiogram and told me I needed to fill in some missing data. I looked at my audiogram and entered the missing numbers and corrected those I thought hadnā€™t scanned quite right. The phone then played a sample of music with two buttons ā€˜Customā€™ and ā€˜Standardā€™ so I could toggle back and forth to see the difference. Below that are two buttons, ā€˜Use Audiogramā€™ and ā€˜Use Standardā€™. I chose Audiogram because I have a substantial high frequency hearing loss and now when I listen to music it sounds MUCH better. Once again, Iā€™m very impressed with Appleā€™s technology and software.