The Last Man Standing in the Floppy Disk Business

Originally published at: The Last Man Standing in the Floppy Disk Business - TidBITS

Floppy disks may not be seeing a revival like vinyl records, but they’re still in demand by hobbyists and manufacturers—medical, aviation, embroidery—that created long-lived machines during the heyday of the floppy. Learn more from the man still serving those customers.

7 Likes

Such a great interview.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info about the METI in Japan. I was surprised! Just told my friends here in Japan about it. Interesting.

1 Like

I know from my own experience - both as an Apple computer historian of sorts and as a dedicated vintage computer enthusiast - that it is great to know that floppydisk.com still exists to serve our needs. I am a very satisfied customer of their floppy products!

I see a fair number of floppy disks showing up at local estate sales, and I keep wishing there were something I could do to rescue them for the people who still use them; but it’s not something I could really handle at scale. Any idea how floppydisk.com handles acquiring stock? I didn’t see anything in a quick scan of the website.

You could just e-mail or phone them. Since it’s a small operation, you should be able to get in touch with someone who can help.

BTW, I’ve corrected your link. It’s floppydisk.com. The link you (and others) have used in replies (with a “c”) is the wrong link and points to a domain squatter.

I’ve corrected the link in my quote of your message. https://www.floppydisk.com/ [and I’ve fixed the previous links -Adam]

2 Likes

From the web site:

"We buy new floppy disks and recycle used ones.
NEW DISKS:
We buy quantities of disks from 100 to 100,000.

Send us a picture of your disks,
and call us (800) 397-7890 for a quote.
RECYCLE 3.5" FLOPPY DISKS:

We accept any quantity of diskettes. If you send more than 200 disks, we reimburse shipping based on media mail rates.

It’s easy.
Just send your discs to:

Floppydisk Recycle Program
26439 Rancho Parkway South,
Suite 155, Lake Forest CA 92630"

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Here’s an article about “The Rise and Fall of 3M’s Floppy Disk” that you might find an interesting read, albeit a bit long. I certainly remember using floppy disks years (decades?) ago.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/3m-floppy

As this article comments, “If you ask the average person what the company 3M does, odds are if they have a few gray hairs hanging out on their scalp, they might say that the company makes floppy disks.”

Another interesting comment in the article: " It would only be a couple of years before Apple would put the first dagger in the heart of the floppy disk with the iMac, breaking with tradition by releasing a personal computer in 1998 with no built-in floppy disk drive."

Finally, if the webpage doesn’t change, I see in the Related Stories section at the top right of the page, there’s a link to a Mac article: “Designing the first Apple Macintosh: The Engineer’s Story.”

—Steve