The Case of the Missing iPad Pro: Find My for the Win

“Notify when left behind” has a useful option of not notifying when at defined locations.

So when I go for a run with just my watch, I don’t get alerted about my phone because it is at Home.

1 Like

I love “notify when left behind” and wish it had been around years ago when I used to tuck the iPad into a counter at work and then not see the black case when I left. I had multiple jobs at the time and would have to use “Find My” to figure out where I’d left it.

But with “Notify”, why doesn’t it tell you when you are back in range?

Diane

I’ve done that for my clients for years, but I always ask their permission first. Most agree.

And quite a few of my clients have called me over the years to be reminded what their password is, so I see it as a valuable service.

First Find My experience: I misplaced my phone back in 2010. Panicking, I used another device to look it up in Find My iPhone. It showed as traveling rapidly away down a nearby interstate. Panicking even more, I called places I’d recently visited. One of them had it in their lost and found.

I never did find out about the spurious signal.

We just moved in Montana, to Bozeman, one of the few places in the state where “liberals” are in the majority. Shortly after moving, we had a locksmith come to re-key all the locks. While he was working, my wife asked him about adding additional levels of security, e.g. remote monitoring of a security system.

“Are you kidding?” he responded. “Nobody breaks into houses in Montana. All the theft occurs where no one is around. Everybody knows that everybody has guns. That’s far better security than any locks.”

(remember, this guy makes is LIVING selling locks).

2 Likes