The 1Password classic extension will stop working in July 2023

You might as well consider 1Password 7 obsolete now, and discard your licenses. This is it: move to 1P v8, or switch.

1P8 is still a good product and is not without its attractions. I’m reminded of that every time I carefully fill out a new entry and add in custom fields with semantics, like a phone number that gets the right treatment when being viewed in the clients. But, you know, it’s simply not for the data sovereigntist any more, and for me there are now two options I’m considering moving to, Strongbox (iOS/MacOS and using the KeePass formats) or VaultWarden (self-hosted BitWarden server written in Rust and able to use SQLite for database). Of these it seems VW has the clearest path forward; the only really important missing feature is push notification support for the mobile clients, and that’s a patch that’s in the works and you can live well enough without it.

The new extension works just fine with 1Password 7. The extension itself has never required a separate license from the app, and my 1P 7 license appears to allow the extension to function normally. So saying that this deprecates 1P 7 entirely is a bit premature.

4 Likes

Ah, good to know, thanks. My recollection had been that the new in-line extension didn’t require an app, but could integrate with one, but I thought that was limited to v8. I’d still say that this represented a sign that you should migrate though, since it’s definitely a clear deprecation of v7 to remove the classic extension that relies solely on the desktop interface. Why they couldn’t or don’t just make it possible for the new extension to behave like the classic extension I can’t think; I know that would improve my experience of v8.

1 Like

I thought they got rid of the classic extension when 1Password 7 came out? I certainly haven’t been using it since I upgraded to 1PW7 – the app itself provides the extension. (And I’m not using 1PW8.)

I’m using 1Password 6 with FireFox as I did not wish to “upgrade” to a subscription.

How will what you say affect me and other possible 1Password 6 users?

1 Like

The new extension works just fine with 1Password 7.

Unfortunately, that’s appears not to be the case if you’re using a standalone vault (i.e., stored on your Mac) – at least for me.

Details: After reading this thread (thank you for the warning, Sebby!), I disabled the classic 1Password extension I’ve been using for years, and downloaded and installed the new 1Password extension. From 1Password 7, I clicked on the links to several different sites I launch frequently with 1Password; this opened the web pages in Firefox, but did not automatically fill in the username and password fields on the web page.

I then disabled the new extension, re-enabled the classic extension, and tested everything again (I completely exited out of 1Password and relaunched it for each test; same for Firefox.) With the classic extension, the username and password fields are automatically filled again.

Specifics:

• I’m running Firefox on macOS 10.14.6, on a 2017-circa iMac.
  • 1Password version 7.9.6; I have a single, standalone vault stored on my iMac
  • Firefox 113.0.2
  • 1Password classic extension v4.7.5.90, last updated June 9, 2022
  • 1Password “new” extension v2.10.0, last updated May 31, 2023

That said, I can’t say that this is (yet) a death-knell for me using 1Password7. Yes, it’s a pain to manually fill in username and password; but I used to do this manually with 1Password for years before using the extension, and that ol’ muscle memory still let’s me do it via the keyboard fairly easily.

Sooner or later, yes, I’ll have to make a choice; but I think I can squeeze some more time out of the status quo yet.

2 Likes

The headline says the extension will stop working, but the article says it will no longer be supported for some browsers (Chromium based?) without mentioning Safari. ’stop working’ and ’no longer be supported’ are not the same things to me.

From the linked 1Password web page:

“On July 10, 2023, the 1Password classic extension for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave will no longer be supported.”

"If you use Safari and 1Password 7 for Mac, upgrade to 1Password 8 and get 1Password for Safari. If you can’t upgrade to 1Password 8 because your Mac has an older version of macOS, you can keep using the browser extension for Safari that’s included with 1Password 7 for Mac.”

Doesn’t this say we can continue using v7 with the browser extension that we’ve been using all along? Clearly, as browsers are updated in the future the v7 extension will become increasingly obsolete, but it seems to say it will continue working at least for the time being.

That said, the writing is on the wall. It’s only a matter of time and v7 will pass into the mists as 1Password moves forward with v8.

1 Like

I’ll admit that I have never used “Open and Fill” in the app (either the full app or the menu bar app) to choose links to visit, so that’s something that didn’t occur to me to test. I use the app only to manage my entries and access the ones that don’t get used in the browser (such as in-app logins and license codes).

In the browser, I use the extension directly—but even then, I don’t use the “Open and Fill” button there. I’ll use my bookmarks in the browser to go to the site, then Command-\ to fill the username and password. I do it this way for two reasons: one, some sites don’t display the login fields directly on the page anymore, but instead hide them with a script or on a separate page (with a link that you can never trust will remain the same), and so they won’t always get properly autofilled using “Open and Fill”; and two, I use multiple browsers regularly, and using “Open and Fill” from the app uses only the default browser. To open a link in a non-default browser, you must use the extension’s “Open and Fill” or go to the site directly.

1 Like

Thanks, I think this is right, specifically, the 1PasswordX desktop integration exists, but it has only ever supported 1P accounts. This is what I have determined by groping around various 1P community threads about past issues with the desktop integration support.

And yes we’re just talking about non-Safari extensions here, i.e. the clearest reading is that they’ll just drop the extensions from the Chrome and Mozilla add-on repositories, leaving just the internal Safari support (which ships with the app itself).

If you’re using the classic extension in your (non-Safari) browser, the pop-up that warns you about the EOL of the extension specifically says that it will no longer function after the specified date.

In the browser, I use the extension directly—but even then, I don’t use the “Open and Fill” button there. I’ll use my bookmarks in the browser to go to the site, then Command-\ to fill the username and password.

Thanks much for describing the process you’re using for 1Password autofill, instead of the "Open and Fill’ button. It’s a method I haven’t used before; and the reasons you describe for using it rather than “Open and Fill” make a lot of sense to me.

Unfortunately, after about a 1/2 hour of trying using CMD-\ with my 1Password7/standalone vault with the new (non-Classic) extension for Firefox, I haven’t gotten it to work. Don’t know if this is because I don’t have a 1Password account, since I’m using a standalone vault, or something to do with the Firefox incarnation of the extension.

At any rate, I’ve gone back to the classic extension, at least for now. Thank you for the info!

It was built in to Safari but you have to add it for other browsers, IIRC.

2 Likes

Associated question for Firefox gurus:

I downloaded and installed the 1Password “classic” extension for Firefox years ago into Firefox.

Now, the “classic” extension is no longer available on Firefox’s online Add-On “store”, where I initially got it – only the “new” 1Password extension.

Anyone know where Firefox stores extensions locally, in the Mac directory structure? I’d like to make a copy of the classic extension, so that if I have to switch to a new Mac in the future, I’d be able to load the classic extension from the file copy I extracted. (Firefox appears to provide an option for installing an extension from a file.)

Thanks in advance!

I haven’t been able to get it to work in Brave, Opera, or Vivaldi for the last few months but it still works in Safari 13.1.2 which is the last version that works on my iMac under High Sierra. If I lose the ability to use 1Password 7.9.10, then it looks like I’ll be forced back to 3M’s password management system.

1 Like

I’m using 1Password6 with Safari 14 on macOS Mojave. The 1PW6 extension has not worked for a long time but I have been using copy-and-paste and don’t mind the extra steps. Passwords that I use many times in a day are saved in Safari itself.

Yep…and while I had an original list of objections to v8…only one of them was an absolute no go…as a long time IT security guy the no automated backup of my data to a location of my choosing was a deal breaker. They eventually either put it out on their support blog or told me in an email the actual location of the encrypted copy of the vault for macOS that is maintained on all devices with the decryption only happening in RAM…with changes encrypted back to that location and then synced to their cloud and thence to other devices (assuming it was changed on macOS.

Since I can depend on Time Machine or cloning or CCC or the backup utility of my choice to make daily or whatever backups of that folder to DropBox or wherever…the objection is gone.

I already have a subscription to 1PW Family…so that’ not a show stopper either…I would prefer no sub but realize the industry is heading that way. The non native client doesn’t bother me much and the loss of DropBox vaults is eased by the fact that I can backup my data to anyplace I desire now including DropBox…and while I’ve always used local vaults on DropBox that was a hangover from really early versions more than a deliberate choice…my sub is mostly used as another backup of my data albeit it manually.

I also really don’t like the native client on Windows and non native on macOS or their pivot to being enterprise oriented rather than primarily consumer oriented…but it’s their company and despite what they say we all know that the VC guys have a heavy hand on the wheel driving the train once they give you the money…yeah, the original management either supposedly or actually keeps ‘control’ of things…but it’s really hard for them to say No to the guys that own 49% or whatever of the company…because they’re your business partners and want to make money just like you do. The company was originally a macOS company that expanded into other things and for a long time was the best at their business in the Apple oriented space…but they’re bigger, have investors, need more profit and all that jazz and they have IMO drifted away from their roots. I understand that…but I don’t have to particularly like it…but it ain’t my company.

I’ve also completed a pretty exhaustive evaluation of the alternatives and there just isn’t anything else that does everything 1PW does…all of the alternatives fail in some fashion…from not having Secure Notes to no backups automatically to clunky interface…so my original decision was to use v7 until I can’t then make a decision…but while I haven’t actually switched to v8 unless something changes that’s where I’ll go if/when I need to.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t mind using enterprise software. More power to you, me, and everyone else. We can have the advanced functionality that the professionals have, and as I say some of that, like the flexibility of the database fields, is really meaningful. The trouble really is all the baggage that goes with that: cross-platform, gray, contractually obligated, and locked in. And, ultimately, what’s left of the joyous original is vestigial, and could easily be overtaken by another product with the focus on those strengths that a managed service has, while still being flexible, great to use, and self-hostable. And honestly, BitWarden is very nearly that already.

How do you decrypt the database file that the v8 client puts in the file system into a readable form suitable for import into another tool? Is that even possible or supported? Backing up an encrypted blob wouldn’t be of any use otherwise.

2 Likes