"Thank You" emoji invisible in dark theme

Minor graphical detail:

When using a dark theme on TidBits Talk, the graphic for the “Thank You” emoji appears to be designed for a light background to display properly. On a dark background/theme it cannot be seen.

Yeah, I know. It’s an incredibly low priority because I don’t approve of Dark Mode. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree… very low priority. :slightly_smiling_face: Just thought I would make a note of it.

I instinctively get nervous whenever I find myself in a category of which @ace does not approve. :grimacing:

So just for grins I switched back to Light Mode (have been running Dark since it came out). It only lasted 15 minutes. All that white was glaring at me most uncomfortably, and I could feel a headache coming on.

But I realize that @macguyver was specifically talking about a dark theme on TidBITS Talk, not Dark Mode in general. So I guess I’m in a hybrid category: I agree that for reading substantial blocks of text, nothing beats black on white (such as I have for this forum). But for file names in a Finder list, or Tab names in an Arc sidebar, or Reminder or Calendar events, or menu items in a menu bar, I still prefer white on black (oh, and terminal windows too).

Not sure if this mitigates Adam’s disapproval, but here I stand; I can do no other. :innocent:

There are certainly people who need to reduce exposure to bright light for comfort reasons, and I have no issues there. (If I was in charge of the world, Dark Mode would have been an accessibility option rather than something you have to do to be one of the cool kids.) And my main issue is with reading text, where the research is pretty unequivocal. User interface elements may be less problematic; personally, I hate dark interfaces with a passion and always reset them to something with higher contrast that’s easier for my eyes to read.

But everyone is welcome to do what they want. :slight_smile: