Tech world April Fools jokes for 2022

I enjoy well-done April Fools jokes, and for years we published an April Fools issue of TidBITS with what were essentially highly speculative articles masquerading as April 1st reality. I hope to compile more of those later today, but for this thread, let’s share any April Fools jokes that we see in the tech world in 2022.

I want this topic to embody the light-hearted spirit behind April Fools Day, so I will ruthlessly delete any critical, snide, or negative comments. Keep it fun, or keep it to yourself.

As a leadoff, OWC just announced the 80-port Gargantuan Dock. Not enough ports? You’ll never say that again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Twelve South has a good one:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/pages/tvtv-for-apple-tv

4 Likes
3 Likes

Never use the Apple Polishing Cloth on incompatible devices!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Actually not a bad idea to turn Apple TV into video cartridges…

I was totally and publicly pranked by Adam on an April Fool’s Day around 1998-1999, and before the introduction of this list. At the time MS had recently introduced Word 4 or 5.something for Mac. neither that, or any other new iterations could come close to version 3.1 of Word for usability and speed. And coverage in the press for the newer versions tended to not be very positive at all, including in TidBits.

Just before lunchtime on April 1, I get an alert note on my inbox from TidBITS that Microsoft will be reintroducing an upgraded version Word 3.1 to previous users. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to email the good news to Mac user colleagues, friends and family members. When I realized it was a prank not long after, I had to email and call everyone who received the good news.

4 Likes

Looks like Twitter is being the venue of choice for many of the AF jokes this year.

2 Likes

New use for an AirTag.

5 Likes

And Ampere’s real product seems to be heading in the direction of the Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by the much-missed Douglas Adams.

2 Likes

The National Weather Service got in on the fun…

5 Likes

I’ve lost interest in April Fools jokes since the demise of Think Geek. It just hasn’t been the same.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Can I configure the FloppyStation to be on RAID 0?

What? No FireWire?!?!

What, no ADB ports?!?!

This one is good

3 Likes