Takeaways After Six Months of the Vision Pro

Originally published at: Takeaways After Six Months of the Vision Pro - TidBITS

Matthew Ball shares nine takeaways about the Apple Vision Pro after living with and thinking about it for six months.

1 Like

About five years ago, a coworker brought their VR headset to a work event and I got to play Beat Saber. It was addictive. Ever since then I’ve wanted a VR rig just for that. I was hoping it would some day come to VisionOS and a less expensive future version of the hardware. Unfortunately, Facebook bought the company and you can only play through a Facebook account. That’s a non-starter. Now I can only think back wistfully on the fun I had that day. :cry:

2 Likes

I bought one because I was very interested in what user-interface decisions Apple made to implement a visual OS, and on how well they worked. Generally, I think most of the decisions were sound and work well, but there are a number of “could use tweaking” moments.

I am not a game player: I mostly use mine to watch TV and movies, and the Vision Pro does a wonderful job of that—a baseball or football game viewed on it is definitely more rewarding than watching it on a TV across the room. Movies are equally rewarding: a true big-screen experience from the comfort of one’s sofa. As an e-reader, however, it falls short; books really ARE handheld devices and work best in that context.

Would I buy one just to use as a TV replacement? Depends; if I were very well-off, why not? For the rest of us, it’s too pricey to serve as just a single-person home-entertainment system. Nonetheless, I am glad to have mine and enjoy using it as one almost every day.

3 Likes

I’ve wondered who their buyers were. There are the ones who just want to have the latest, but how many are using it for games or recreation. There is also a group who will use it for scientific or commercial applications. What is the market for people who want to look at molecules or wander around designed cities? For people who really need it the price is probably cheap, and Apple will be hoping to make enough sales to justify future and cheaper models.

1 Like