Suggestions for iOS video shooting?

I’m using the oldie but goodie 11 Pro Max, running iOS 16.4 (b). I’ve been asked to shoot video of a bluegrass band one of our kids is close friends with. I’ll be doing backup shooting, mostly indoors in our bright living room and a darker rougher back room.
I’ve done limited videoing, particularly detailed technical shooting.
My present options include the native Camera app; ProCamera v16.2; Moment v4.3.21; Obscura v2023 1 (53); and various others …
Do you have any particular considerations I should keep in mind? Any other options I should consider?
Where else should I post this inquiry?

I’ve heard good things about the book “How to Shoot Video that Doesn’t Suck” from some faculty who started recording their lectures (pre-pandemic even). Our local library has it as both dead tree and epub, so you may want to check yours.

My own video experience is mostly limited to kittens a few years ago, where quality doesn’t matter much because kittens. But I did learn that to an even greater degree than still photography you need more light than you think you do, and if at all possible a tripod is not a frill (get one with a video head for easy panning). LED light panels are quite affordable now, lots are below $100 (get adjustable brightness and variable color temperature; most are now but check). Clamps to mount phones and tablets are readily available for cheap to moderate, $2-$50 or so depending on features and quality.

It’s important to stabilize performance videos, especially when rock and rolling. If you have a newer model iPhone, be sure to set up Action Mode before you start shooting:

There are a ton of hand held hardware stabilization options available if your iPhone doesn’t have stabilization, and Amazon has many of them available at large range of prices. And there are also stabilization apps on the App Store.

Tripods are another important option to consider, and Amazon has a large range. When shooting performances, it’s also a very good idea to have more than one available iPhone for filming. Video + audio tends to burn up batteries very fast.

It would also be a good idea to sit down with your son before the show to go over his set list, and also discuss camera angles, and when to focus on who. And also talk about, and check on, what the lighting will be. Take some trial shots beforehand to see if you might need to add or subtract some lights.

And it will be important to do a quick dry run a few days before, and to take notes. Once everything is taken care of, “a splendid time is guaranteed for all.”

Got the book, and have started reading it — thanks!
I have a good tripod and iPhone clamp that I’m well acquainted with. For this video, we’ll be in a fairly bright room lit with three large windows. My problem is going to be where to be able to set up the camera and tripod so as to allow the main videographer the best angles …
I do like the idea of taking trial videos ahead of time …
My daughter and I will be sitting down with the videographer and members of the band ahead of time to get some idea of how to map things out. It’s mostly going to be improvisational as that’s very much part of their approach to bluegrass …

A thought since I’ve been shopping for a beginner’s bird/bat call set up:

Is someone taking care of the sound recording? If not, you might consider getting an external microphone for the iPhone, or using a regular digital recorder. The decent low end digital recorders start at $80, e.g. Zoom H1n and Tascam DR-05X. They have mics; I don’t know if they’re good enough for music, but they’re certainly better than phone mics. But you’d have to take care of sync in post processing.

Mic connection options to an iPhone are basically a USB mic via the apple usb adapter, or a mic that connects (usually?) via a TRS to TRRS adapter, then to the apple headphone adapter.

I have no ideas about a good mic choice. Music has different needs than birds, bats, and the ubiquitous cheap podcasting/vlogging offerings.

You don’t mention your audio setup, so, for all we know you are already aware, but: The audience will watch bad video with good sound; they turn off good video with bad sound. So, never record sound with a phone’s built-in microphone. Always use an external mic, such as the ones mentioned above. Wireless microphones have gotten really inexpensive this year, and a radio mic will enable your camera operator to move around. The best quality mics use XLR connectors. iRig and some others make XLR adapters for phones. It gets down to what you can afford.

Totally understood!

I’ll be using a Shure MV88 attached through the lightning port. Probably using the MOTIV video app, as it gives more direct control over the mike.

What we’re filming is mostly dialogue, a tableau / play. It will start formally … and disintegrate. This bluegrass band is posing a different view of decorum in this video …. It should be quite funny once it’s overlain with the prerecorded music.

Keep the advice coming?— thanks!