Sorting hexadecimal numbers

This may be a more esoteric question than this list can help me with, but hopefully someone can at least point me to somewhere to find an answer.

I’m dealing with a list of filenames that were automatically generated as 24-digit hexadecimal numbers. When they are sorted in a normal alphanumeric sort (such as by the Finder), they aren’t sorted by hex value, but as alphanumeric text. This results in a different order from by actual value. I want them sorted by numeric value.

I’ve been trying to find something (free, low cost, or that I already have) that can batch process these to sort by value, either directly as hex values or with a conversion to decimal. The problem is twofold: one, as I mentioned, they’re 24 digits, which represents a value much higher than most consumer-level products (such as Excel) can handle (in decimal they run into 29 digits, tens of octillions); and two, there’s nearly 5000 of these files, which means converting the numbers one at a time (such as with a calculator) would be a Herculean task.

The filenames were not generated strictly in numeric order chronologically (that is, most of them would be in order by date, but there are a few hundred scattered filenames that for some reason didn’t follow order), so sorting the files by date doesn’t get around the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Marquelle Davian McKean
qpanda@quantumpanda.com

You don’t need to convert the entire 24-digit hexadecimal string to one large number to sort it. You can break it into smaller strings, such as four six-digit strings, convert each to a numeric value, then sort by multiple numeric fields.

The “sort” command should do what you want, assuming the values are stored in ASCII, because in ASCII a-f and A-F all have ASCII code values greater than 0-9.

Finder sorts names differently. Finder extracts digits in the range of 0-9, finds the value (ignoring leading zeros) and groups such files together. Finder and sort display the following order:

Finder     (Finder sorts as)    sort
     10a.         10, then a         100
     19a          19, then a         10a
     100.         100                19a

Here’s a simple sort command, assuming the data is in file in.txt and you want to output to file out.txt.

sort -f < in.txt > out.txt

(The -f option ignores case, so A and a are considered the same.)
Type “man sort” into Terminal to get a full list of options.

Can “sort” in terminal do this directly? It doesn’t group digits like finder and should put numbers before letters

I looked at NameMangler and it doesn’t seem to support this…but a google search found me

[
apple-touch-icon@2.png

OSX / MacOs batch rename hexadecimal filenames to decimal filenames
stackoverflow.com

](bash - OSX / MacOs batch rename hexadecimal filenames to decimal filenames - Stack Overflow)

That might work for you. And for those with extensive terminal experience I’m sure there’s a way to do this…but I would not be included in that definition of “those” unfortunately.