Sonoma Keynote: line break shortcut busted?

So for bulleted lists I often use a line break when I want to, well, start on a new line but not start a new bullet. In the past Keynote made this very easy using shift-return.

But now in Sonoma’s Keynote, shift-return does not appear to do anything else than regular return. There is a menu command Insert > Line Break that will do what I want, but since I cannot map shift-return to that menu item (Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > App Shortcuts), that makes it hard to restore the previously very efficient way to get this done.

Anybody else notice this? Any workarounds without resorting to 3rd party software?

On my keyboard Control-return gives a soft return/newline without making a new bulleted item. macOS 14.2.1, Keynote 13.2.

That’s consistent with Numbers 13.2 - adding a line break within a cell.

I’ve always used opt-return for a line break. I’m not on Sonoma yet so don’t know if it will work for you, but might be worth a try.

Opt-return does nothing for me here on Sonoma.

Indeed ctrl-return appears to be the new line break. Odd how Apple would not give any menu item indication for that shortcut. This would have been one for release notes, Apple.

You are making the assumption that Apple has anything close to what everyone expects for release documentation. Apple has never been one to describe changes in their release notes to any useful degree. That’s a serious flaw in their corporate DNA.

No, you’re making assumptions.

What I was actually doing is pointing out that this is exactly the type of information that should go into release notes if Apple ever bothered to release meaningful release notes along with their app updates.

So note, there is actually no disagreement on this topic.

1 Like

It’s perplexing.

The Keynote User Guide still has Shift-Return as the Keyboard Shortcut for a generic “soft return” (aka newline) character, though I notice that Apple’s Notes User Guide has Control-Return as the Keyboard Shortcut for a “soft return” in a Notes List as far back as Monterey. (I didn’t see a similar entry for Keynote.)

AFAIK, except for editing cells in spreadsheets, Shift-Return has been the nearly universal shortcut for a “soft return” across programs and even platforms for decades. This seems like a truly odd decision for Apple to make.

(FWIW, PowerPoint still uses the Shift-Return convention for soft returns in lists in Sonoma.)

We are 100% in agreement - I just chose a more sarcastic way of expressing it.

Many times Apple has the “you don’t need to know that” attitude - dumbing down to the least common denominator. They’d be better off to put everything out there and let us decide what’s important or not. Joe Consumer probably would go “deer in the headlights” about a comprehensive list of changes, but a lot of us (including developers) would get a lot of value out of it.

I like the Mozilla team’s approach.

If you click the “What’s new” link from their products’ about boxes, you get taken to a page that shows the release notes for your specific version. For example:

From there, you have a one-line summary of each change, links to additional information (including Bugzilla pages for fixed bugs). So those who want all the ugly details can get them.

I realize Apple can’t link public documents to their internal bug system, but it seems they could put redacted information on a public server somewhere.

2 Likes