Socializing Siri: Add Relationships, Teach Pronunciations, and More

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/07/31/socializing-siri-add-relationships-teach-pronunciations-and-more/

Like most small children, Siri doesn’t know how people are related and it often has trouble pronouncing names correctly. Learn how to teach Apple’s personal assistant about relationships, nicknames, and proper pronunciations!

There is no “Siri and Search” or “Siri” or “Search” in the Settings app on my iPhone 6+ running iOS 11. ??

This is really useful information. Using Siri in this way is completely non-discoverable.

@John, it’s there on 11.2.1 on my 8+. About 4 or 5 entries beneath General (and off the bottom of the screen at first).

Another reason it would be nice if Settings were alphabetized!

iOS 11.4.1 (recently installed).

Under General I have:

Display…

Wallpaper

Sounds

Touch ID…

Emergency…

Battery

Privacy

That’s freaky—Siri & Search should be right under Sounds.

Interesting article. Mine don’t appear to be alphabetized. I jumped from iOS 8 to iOS 11 in case that helps.

Just guessing here, but is your device corporate managed?

One nice trick you didn’t mention: ask Siri to call your mom, and if you haven’t set a contact relationship for your mom, Siri will ask you who your mom is and then if you want her to remember that for the future.

At least I think I remember that happening.

No and never has been.

Just noticed a “Linked contacts” field when trying out your tips. What is its purpose?

If you go to Settings > General > Restrictions, are Restrictions enabled? If Restrictions are enabled and Siri is not set to Allow (toggle switch is to the right, revealing the green area, as most of the toggles will be), Settings > Siri & Search will not be present.

If I’m understanding the question right, I think it’s the difference between selecting an existing contact card for a related name versus just typing in a name there. Most of the time, you’d want to select a contact card if you have one, but if you’re adding small children to someone’s contact card so you remember their names, you probably wouldn’t have a contact card to link to.

Curtis - that did it. I figured Siri was turned Off some place. You found it. Thanks.

Ah yes…

Thank you

Apparently I have another switch set wrong somewhere because “Hey Siri” will only work when plugged into power. What an odd process.

That happens when you are in low power mode.

In your case, that’s because you have an iPhone 6 Plus, which has to be plugged in to work with Hey Siri. The capability to have it work when not plugged in arrived with the iPhone 6s.

Thanks everyone. It was an interesting article and discussion. The Apple support article was good too. I learned quite a bit all told.

Glad to hear it! Siri is simultaneously quite simple and tremendously complex, and it’s not always clear when you move from one of those to the other.