Slow Motion Video of the Apple Watch Ejecting Water

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2020/06/19/slow-motion-video-of-the-apple-watch-ejecting-water/

The Slow Mo Guys have published a YouTube video with slow-motion, highly magnified footage of an Apple Watch ejecting water. Well worth a look.

2 Likes

What happens if you just hold your arm vertically with the speaker ports pointing down? Would more water be ejected in a shorter time with the aid of gravity?

It appears you have to know you’re going to get wet and put it in water lock mode. What happens if you get your watch wet accidentally?

Nothing really, except perhaps spurious touches of the display. The purpose of water lock is to prevent the display from accidental touches that can be caused by water touching it. The expulsion of water from the speaker is just a cool feature of getting out of water mode. If you’ve forgotten and the watch gets wet, you can just put it in water lock and then spin the crown to get it out.

In my experience, the buzzes as you get out of water mode never expel all of the water. Some more will drip out later almost always. And it will eventually evaporate on its own if you don’t put the watch in water mode. (I do this a lot if I am going for a quick swim to cool off; I just don’t bother with water mode.)

2 Likes

Now that it is Spring in Australia and I am back to swimming…
My watch automatically goes into water lock mode when I select and start Pool Swim from the Workout app. When I get it underwater at other times it won’t lock, which can be a nuisance and so I might then select the lock manually.
When I first got an Apple Watch a couple of years ago I am pretty sure it sometimes locked itself when immersed but that doesn’t seem to happen with latest OS.
BTW I have bought a Caseology edge protector after breaking the edge of the screen a couple of times - once when it dropped onto a plastic deck from less than half a metre (I keep it on every time that I swim now!)

While it’s true that starting a swimming (or surfing) workout automatically turns on the water lock, the watch itself has no sensor that does this at other times. You must do this manually otherwise.

See How to use Water Lock and eject water from your Apple Watch - Apple Support