I tried on macOS 27 and got this from Siri AI: “I can create a station for you based on Yonatan Razel, but I’m currently unable to automatically generate a playlist of their top twenty songs.”
My prompt was simpler than yours: “Create a playlist of the top twenty songs by Yonatan Razel.”
I wondered if it was something about the artist, so I asked for a different artist. Same answer. Then I asked “Can you create playlists?” and got: “I can add songs to your existing playlists, but I’m currently unable to create a new playlist for you in Apple Music.”
You might try creating a Razel playlist. I’ll try it with the artist I searched for (Jobim).
Well, the situation gets more weird (and not really acceptable) for me. I already had a Jobim playlist so I asked Siri to add the top twenty songs by Gal Costa (Brazilian singer) to it. Siri said she couldn’t find a playlist “Jobim” and asked “do you want me to create it?” Wait, Siri, you told me you can’t create playlists. I said yes. Siri then said she couldn’t find/add tunes by Costa – or some such. By that point I was fed up with Siri.
I think I’ve seen reports of being able to do this. Not sure what the problem is. What about iOS 27?
Yes, this works on iOS 27. It failed at first because Siri couldn’t find the “top 20” songs by Costa. I suspect that’s a problem with the top 20 specification. I changed the request to “just add 20 songs by Gal Costa” (that’s all, Siri AI memory knew what I was talking about), and that worked.
Then there’s the matter of aggregating all the charting singles (presumably peak positions) from a single band. I see such aggregations on Wikipedia for some bands, but this is far from universal.
If the band didn’t have 20 charting singles, determining which 20 are “top” will be even more challenging. The artist and/or record label should have raw sales data and can produce a list (e.g., for a “greatest hits” compilation), but it may be hard for anyone else to get that data.
In other words, that request is more complicated than it may seem at first glance.
It seems to me what’s going on is that Siri AI in iOS can do this – with the exception of the “top 20” and I’m sure David C. is correct. But Siri in macOS seems to not yet be able to create playlists. Disappointing, but somewhat expected, and related (if I understand all this) to app intents, or at least to the ability of Siri macOS to control apps (yeah, Apple’s own Music app in this case). Of course, if you have an iPhone and create such a playlist, it is also on the Mac.
Also, playing around with this, while I can add songs to an existing playlist in iOS, it seems like Siri only can add songs that are already in my Music library. Maybe a prior step is needed, something like “Add 5 songs by XXX to my library.”
It’s more limited than that. I asked it "Add the twenty most recent songs from each of Yonatan Razel, Ishay Riboh and Hanan Ben Ari to my Apple Music Play list named Testing. It couldn’t do it t When I repeated the question it told me "I couldn’t find a playlist named “Testing” in your Apple Music library. Could you double-check the name, or would you like me to create a new playlist with that name?
What is the exact name of the playlist you’d like to add these songs to?" So I typed the new name of a dummy playlist and called it “hello”. It came back “how can I help you today”