Seven Third-Party Accessories Show MagSafe’s Potential

Originally published at: Seven Third-Party Accessories Show MagSafe’s Potential - TidBITS

Apple designed MagSafe to improve wireless iPhone charging by adding magnets for snap-in-place positioning. The company’s own MagSafe accessories are a mixed bag, but third-party makers have come to the rescue. Julio Ojeda-Zapata tested a handful of MagSafe products that improve the experience.

I will not criticize Apple for omitting a charger because Apple chargers only support one USB connection. Thus they often become ‘throwaway’ items.

In my family 3 of 4 have multiple iDevices – old iPad, current iPad, iPhone, aWatch. Adding third party rechargeable bluetooth headphones further complicates the situation. So our preferred solution is to use an Anker multiport AC adapter chargers with five or six ports. These also work well with stand-alone inverters or built-in AC adapters in newer automobiles. We even keep separate AC cords installed in locations we visit regularly so we don’t have to work to uncover AC receptacles.

In today’s motor vehicles, even a dual-port adapter, such as https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Compatible-Devices-Anker-PowerDrive/dp/B07H4LH6P7?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&psc=1, reduces dueling-Apple-Play conflicts.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying out this Nomad MagSafe stand and I like it a lot. Its angle is fixed, however, while the Twelve South stand is angle-adjustable, so keep that in mind when weighing a purchase. I’m finding the adjustability is not huge deal for me, so the Nomad stand is fine, at least in my case.

I have the HaloLock and the hinge on the phone holder weakens after a month or two, causing it to slump downward when the phone is attached. Or it did on mine. Not a deal killer but a bit annoying.

This looks interesting (I haven’t tried): Otterbox Folding Stand for MagSafe Charger - Apple

I bought this one on Amazon. I like it. The magnet isn’t so strong that it is hard to take the phone off the stand. Uses a ball joint instead of a hinge for small amounts of tilt. Small footprint, Charges airpods too.

1 Like

This shipped today. I have one. It’s very nice.