Setting line length in Apple Mail

Most modern email programs allow the text to flow to the width of the window. Resizing the window width then modifies the line length. There have been a few programs that would do a soft line wrap at user-defined widths (e.g., Mailsmith).

I know that I can resize the width of the window to create a similar effect. The downside is that it can have an impact on the number of columns displayed when using a 3-pane window. I prefer a fairly narrow line width of about 72 characters.

I would like to find a way to have user-defined line lengths in Apple Mail – or other modern mail apps – but have not found a way to do so.

And I would like to force incoming email to always use plain-text format. I think Apple Mail did this in the past. Again, this is something that Mailsmith did well.

Both of these features are easy to do when composing an email – but I want it to work on received email as well.

Mailsmith sends with the following:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

Note: running Mojave with Apple Mail v12.4.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I hope you get a constructive answer regarding line lengths. I may not want a fixed width, but I do get frustrated when Apple Mail doesn’t word wrap within the visible window. Viewing mail in plain-text should also greatly reduce the risk of clicking untoward links.

I have not found anything that will control the flow and appearance of received messages using Apples Mail app. This is one of the reasons I still use Mailsmith on macOS Mojave.

I did find two plugins that control the formatting of composed plain text messages: MailWrap and MailFlow.