Setting an alarm when changing time zones

In a few weeks I’ll be travelling on a ferry between Finland and Sweden, where there is a one hour time difference. Breakfast is early, so I need to set an alarm. I’ve been bitten before by my iPhone helpfully changing the time I set the alarm to the other time zone, but I can’t remember which way it went wrong, so can someone tell me how best to do it?

I want to set the alarm before I go to bed in Finnish time, but it needs to wake me up after we have physically moved to Sweden, and the phone automatically switches to Swedish time. If I want to wake up at 5:00 Swedish time, what time should I set the alarm when the phone is on Finnish time? I neither want to be woken early (4:00 Swedish, which is 5:00 Finnish time) or too late (6:00 Swedish, 7:00 Finnish time). Do I set it for 5:00 or 6:00?

2 Likes

Turn off automatic time zone support (settings / general / time and date) and use the Finnish time. You can reset that setting when you wake up.

5 Likes

A nice, simple solution! I’ll plan on doing that.

I’d still like to know how the phone handles alarms when crossing time zones, though.

1 Like

Or use a timer instead of an alarm. That way you do not need to remember to re-enable automatic time zone support.

3 Likes