Sending email into Discourse

Discourse kept your quotes styled as quotes on the web, just without the attribution. My guess is a line that begins with a greater-than (>) is treated as a quote and they were retained because there was additional unquoted content that followed. It could be bad if one replied by email in a client that adds a signature at the very bottom.

BTW, given the multi-platform nature of TidBITS Talk, I think it’s best not to use a signature file in emails to Discourse unless they’re formatted using the old-timey signature file indicator (newline dash dash space actual signature) and Discourse knows how to strip them.

1 Like

It looks like Sierra Mail can’t (I don’t think iOS 11 Mail can either) but Outlook 2016 can.

Ron’s a doctor, so that’s why he worries about being tracked by pharmaceutical companies and healthcare headhunters. It’s not “real” spam, but could be problematic for him professionally.

Yeah, I see the same. I trust TidBITS, but I don’t trust many other emailers. Thus for me, I will always have “Load Remote Content” toggled to OFF.

That said, email from Discourse isn’t horrible Just not as good as emails previously sent (and I fully understand nobody wants @ace to have to go back spending time futzing on such petty tweaks)

Egad! Sorry, list. I just pasted the URL to the github page. I didn’t intend for it to get expanded. I’ll have to be more careful about this Discourse “feature.”

Posting links is fine, I think. While that one was a little more than usual, that’s more on GitHub that on you. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, in general, Discourse’s “onebox” method of previewing links is great, but some sites may overdo it.

If you want to disable onebox for a specific link (or because you’re submitting by email and want to know what the final result will be), you can just put a space before the link. Onebox only works for links on a line by themselves:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/disable-onebox-for-specific-links/25683/3

See, onebox was useful there, but if I didn’t want it I could have said:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/disable-onebox-for-specific-links/25683/3

I can’t reply to emails that come for tidbit talks. When I click the link to visit the topic, it brings me to a login screen. Once I’ve logged in, it doesn’t bring me to the message or even into tidbit talks. I then go back to the email and click on visit topic again and I can get to a place where I can enter a reply. I just can’t do it via email.

The reason I can’t reply to the messages as they all come in with the sender’s name but with the address of:
[noreply@talk.tidbits.com](mailto:noreply@talk.tidbits.com

This isn’t very user friendly

Hi Betty,

You’re correct, the reply-to address is set to noreply@, but the from address works fine, so you should be able to reply as normal anyway.

As for clicking the Visit Topic link I have had that work for me, but I never bother logging out so it usually takes me straight there. When I try after logging out I still see the correct page, and even after I login i’m still there. So i’m stumped why it does not work for you! Do you have some adblock or similar plugins that could be affecting things?

HTH,

Dave

What happens when you try to reply?

With Mail.app (10.13.4) I am able to reply fine.

David

I’m trying reply now. The last couple of times I’ve tried to reply, they’ve bounced back as undeliverable. I’ll try again.

Betty

I say “fine” but I now realize that when I reply from Mail.app, the material I quote isn’t displayed either online or when I receive the email copy of my message. (I’m posting this message online, so the quoting is preserved.)

Anyone know how to fix this?

David

Quoting has worked for me via Mail.

Marc Zeedar
Publisher, xDev Magazine and xDevLibrary
www.xdevmag.com | www.xdevlibrary.com

It’s the other way 'round, the From address is always noreply@ (preceded by the comment author’s name) but the Reply-to address is reply+[a long string unique to each comment]@. The Reply button in your mail client should automatically use the address on the Reply-to line instead of the From line.

1 Like

I’m having the threading issues that someone else mentioned awhile back, in Mail.

If the same person is in the thread multiple times, all their messages are grouped together. Otherwise they are all separate. So messages end up being out of order.

I haven’t had any reply issues all week though!

Diane

Things were misconfigured briefly, but I fixed that a few days ago.

If you click View Topic, you’ll do exactly that. However, you should only have to log in once — Discourse will remember you unless you log out manually. Don’t do that unless you’re working on a shared or public computer.

If you reply to the email as you would normally, it will send to an address like this, which does work.

TidBITS reply+686dwer824499672da390713bf1135f@talk.tidbits.com

Oops! Thanks Curtis… I did have it backwards :wink:

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, that’s happening to me too, using Apple Mail on Sierra, my main mail client. Threading seems correct in Mail for iOS (11) and Gmail.

I’ve tried to as well … this time choosing reply put TO gave a very long address at TidBITS, so I’ll see what happens. But I hated seeing the <noreply…> address shown in FROM for the poster. Sometimes you want to answer the person who wrote directly.

Louise