Sending email into Discourse

That’s not possible, unfortunately, since just because someone posts on Discourse doesn’t mean they want to expose their email address to you or any spammer who can subscribe to the list or compromise a list member’s email. This added security is one of the tradeoffs on Discourse not being a mailing list.

BTW, your message came in with hard returns after each line (which I edited out so it didn’t look funny). Please try not to apply manual formatting in email (or keep your client from hard-wrapping lines) since it will result in ugly display for everyone else.

Also, for everyone here, please don’t include signatures in messages to TidBITS Talk. Aside from them being duplicative and unnecessary every time you post, links in them may get your messages flagged as spam because you’ll seem to the system to be posting the same links over and over again.

1 Like

BTW, your message came in with hard returns after each line (which I
edited out so it didn’t look funny). Please try not to apply manual
formatting in email (or keep your client from hard-wrapping lines) since
it will result in ugly display for everyone else.

That’s odd … because I’m just using plain text to respond … inside and
don’t use return for anything except another paragraph.

Louise

I suspect this is because when clients send plain text email, they hard wrap them. I think this is part if the MIME spec for plaintext. I suspect Discourse isn’t properly removing them on receipt as a good email client would.

Looks like dealing with linebreaks in email is one of those no-win situations.

After watching some replies come into Discourse, I’d like to ask that, if you’re going to reply via email, you DO NOT QUOTE any text in the original message. There was often way too much quoted text when we were using Mailman too, but it seriously clutters posts in Discourse, where you can just scroll up to see more.

Similarly, please turn off email signatures when sending email to Discourse. They look repetitive and may cause your messages to be flagged as spam due to multiple links to the same site.

Thanks!

cheers… -Adam

I don’t like this. About half the posts I’m reading are bewildering because there’s no context. I don’t know what people are referring to, and in email there’s no way to scroll to see more, like in Discourse.

TT is far more active now, but I’m understanding and participating less because it’s harder to follow the threads (especially since people still bird walk and mix topics) with no quoted material.

That said, the Mail threading issue seems to be working much better now that “re” has been added to the subject line, so that will help, as before I was often reading posts out of order.

The quoting was being really random, with the quoted text confusing who said what much of the time. Hopefully the improved threading in older email clients will improve this, since you can then just scroll up in the conversation, just as you can scroll up in Discourse.

1 Like