Security Fixes Appear in iOS/iPadOS 16.7.2 and 15.8, Plus macOS 13.6.1 and 12.7.1

Originally published at: Security Fixes Appear in iOS/iPadOS 16.7.2 and 15.8, Plus macOS 13.6.1 and 12.7.1 - TidBITS

A set of security updates for the last two releases of iOS, iPadOS, and macOS address various vulnerabilities.

1 Like

This fix broke my 1st gen iPad 12.9 WI-FI. I now have to disable “Private WiFi Address.” Now when enabled Wi-Fi 5 band won’t connect at all, and the 2 band drops the connection quickly. I had to disable it.

mDNSResponder

Available for: iPhone 8 and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 3rd generation and later, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 5th generation and later

Impact: A device may be passively tracked by its Wi-Fi MAC address

Description: This issue was addressed by removing the vulnerable code.

CVE-2023-42846: Talal Haj Bakry and Tommy Mysk of Mysk Inc. @mysk_co

1 Like

There was a little strangeness while updating my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) to macOS 13.6.1. During one of its restart passes it put up a circle-slash icon (vs. Apple icon) under which it displayed “support.apple.com/mac/startup” (ruh rho Scooby). After several minutes it proceeded and finally displayed the login screen. On log in things seemed OK but I did another restart just in case, perchance, it started up at the aforementioned URL.

1 Like