Screen brightness

(Lawrence J. Collen) #1

Has anyone seen or seen reports of any screen brightness changes occuring in iOS 12.2 recently? It’s happened to me several times today and I don’t know if it’s just me or something systemic.

0 Likes

(Adam Engst) #2

You might look at Settings > Display & Brightness and fiddle with the True Tone setting. I saw that being pretty aggressive while reading in bed recently, where there was a light shining on the screen and the room was otherwise dark. Depending on how I tilted the iPad,True Tone would brighten or dim the screen greatly.

1 Like

(Simon) #3

Not just related to TrueTone. Even on older devices that don’t have it the brightness seems wonky after the update.

1 Like

(Will M) #4

Long ago, I found a setting with a label like Automatically Adjust Screen Brightness, which I enabled. Like Adam, I have found the iPad can be sensitive to the angle at which incident light hits it in a room that is not uniformly lit.

I just looked for Automatically Adjust Screen Brightness and could not find it by that name. There is something in General Settings >Accessibility called Auto Brightness; maybe that was it, although the description only says, “Turning off auto-brightness may affect battery life.” Perhaps there should be a TidBITS article about the confusion that is Settings in iOS.

I don’t have True Tone under Settings > Display & Brightness. This is with iOS 12.1.4.

1 Like

(Simon) #5

Indeed. I have no idea why they would hide that in there rather than showing it right in Display & Brightness where users would most likely expect it.

1 Like

(Simon) #6

Do you have a newer device that supports it? IIRC it’s only included on iPhone 8 and later as well as the 10" iPad Pro and later. My SE doesn’t have it.

1 Like

(Lawrence J. Collen) #7

I have an SE also…so I don’t have True Tone either but I did turn off Display Accomo.>Auto-Brightness so we’ll see if that makes any difference-if ti happens again.
I had considered the possibility that the latest update had something to do with it but as nobody else has talked about it I thought that it might just be moi!

0 Likes

(Lawrence J. Collen) #8

As I’m using a SE True Tone’s not available to me. I did, however turn off Display Acc.>Auto-Brigthness and will see if that does anything-that’s IF it happens again.
So from your reply take it that you have not seen anybody else talk about this recently?

0 Likes

(Will M) #9

Probably not. It’s an iPad from before the iPad Pro was introduced. That would explain why I don’t see it.

0 Likes

(Simon) #10

No, I’m afraid it’s not just you. I’m pretty sure it’s something they screwed up in the update. Had no issues whatsoever with it until I applied this latest update.

0 Likes

(Adam Engst) #11

Until this thread, no…

0 Likes