Salesforce Buys Slack for $27.7 Billion

Originally published at: Salesforce Buys Slack for $27.7 Billion - TidBITS

Cloud-based business services provider Salesforce has announced that it’s buying chat service Slack for nearly $28 billion.

This is nitpicking, but how truly beloved can something be if people are not willing to pay even a little for it? I think this has much to do with focus on raw adoption numbers. If all that counts if how many millions of people use a tool then it’s a race to the bottom as everybody has to go free and try to sell something beyond or sell out users’ privacy (eg. Facebook). By contrast, if you focus on selling a solid product at a reasonable price, you likely won’t have the same high adoption rates, but you’ll probably gain a bunch of happy loyal customers (eg. Apple). IMHO the latter is more desirable model for both customers and businesses. I really wish we’d give up on this 90s obsession with trying to have the entire developed world use the one same tool for a certain task.

2 Likes

Well, a lot of people do pay a lot for it. Very small businesses and organizations aren’t usually in that group because the premium features are priced for larger firms. For instance, in the internal TidBITS Slack, we have 30 users right now (all the Take Control discussions continue to happen there as well even though that’s Joe’s baby now). We like Slack, but not enough to pay $200 per month.

1 Like

I doubt that this deal is about one app, it’s about Salesforce going after Microsoft Dynamics, including its Teams and Microsoft Cloud Services and Office 365. There is no Mac version of MS Dynamics; it can only run in Parallels, and according to people I used to work with, it does not run well on it at all. Salesforce runs just fine on Macs. So I suspect Tim Cook is smiling about this. And Salesforce initially got off the ground by focusing on small to mid sized businesses and charging reasonable prices. They been focusing equally on businesses of all size businesses for years:

Slack has never been profitable:

Slack reported a loss of $74.4 million, or 13 cents a share, on revenue of $201.7 million, up 50% from $134.8 million a year ago. After adjusting for stock-based compensation and other factors, Slack reported a loss of 2 cents a share, compared with a loss of 23 cents a share a year ago. Analysts surveyed by FactSet had expected adjusted losses of 6 cents a share on sales of $186.2 million.

What I am concerned about is the possibility Salesforce might kill the free version.

3 Likes