Problem: Click a link in Safari
– page comes back “Failed to open page”
– Message that appears in mid-screen is “Safari Can’t Connect to the Server” and then it shows the whole link and names the server as the opening web address in the link.
Can’t say exactly when this started but certainly throughout Big Sur including latest release (11.4) on an M1 mini.
The message has nothing to do with internet connection. The exact same link works instantly in Chrome or Firefox and not before or after in Safari.
It appears to be related to the link going to or through some tracking server
– it happens almost exclusively on links in emails, but NOT all email links
– happens regularly on links in newsletter where they acknowledge “we get a commission if you follow the link”
– but also in some links from non-profits relating to donation
– the links are always long and filled with codes not words
– it is NOT related to the email program (Mailplane) or email provider (Google suite)
I can copy the link, paste it to a pure text program. then copy is again and paste it in Safari and get the error message and paste the same link in Chrome and it works.
I assume it is some privacy or tracking block Apple has decided is good for me.
But I cannot find any Safari setting that seems relevant – even with all privacy setting off.
It is frustrating because it means I have to switch browsers regularly.
It has gotten irritating enough that I was just about to switch default browser entirely, but figured I’d ask here first ;-))
Thanks for any help.