Safari 13

Can anybody comment on if Safari 13 will at least share tabs over iCloud with iOS 13’s Safari? I know Safari 13 on HS works while on Mojave it’s broken, but that’s based on sharing with iOS 12 devices. Anybody able to test on iOS 13?

To me tab sharing is the single most important “continuity” feature. So knowing that iOS 13 restores that functionality would actually be quite a good reason to update soon.

It’s working for me. But both of the recent mac and iphone updates have left me worried. Nothing is stable. I would not update if I were you. Just because it’s working for me today doesn’t mean it will work for you, or even that it will work for me tomorrow. It’s that unstable right now.

For example, a related feature is that links I’ve visited on my phone are marked as visited on my computer and vice versa. That’s not working for me.

Hehe, so I can probably get tab sharing to work by going to iOS 13 but apparently that will likely break a whole bunch of other stuff. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. :smiley:

Has the 13.1.2 update helped with any of the instability you mention?

Installed it last night. If I notice anything I’ll post back here.

It appears to be working a bit better for me! Hopefully I’m not speaking too soon.

Visited links are syncing now.

Good to hear. Thanks.

I’m awaiting some more positive reports from iOS 13 early adopters and they’ll I’ll take the jump.

I still hope Apple fixes this in Safari 13. I don’t think it’s ok to force iOS updates by releasing something on Mac that breaks existing functionality unless you update your iOS devices. Especially considering not all iOS hardware can actually update.

Ok… Instapaper just fix my extension problem.

Download new Instapaper extension here:

Any news on what the Safari 13.0.2 update does? The update description sounds to me like copy/paste from 13.0. Security updates page says nothing in 13.0.2.

Same here, and so far there hasn’t been much positive.

I can report that the 13.0.2 update has restored updating iCloud device browsing history sync. Safari 13.0.2 on my Mac now in its history again shows pages I’ve viewed on my iOS 13.1.2 iPhone. That was broken here before the update.

Thanks, Simon! @agen held off on even writing about 13.0.2 because we couldn’t tell what had changed at all.

Safari 13.0.3 has just been released as a security update. The only problem that I have encountered so far is that when I first opened it the spinning beachball was constantly there. However I could click on links etc and also I could quit Safari from the menu bar. The next time I opened it the beachball was gone.
With Safari 13 on my iMac I have found there is often a delay in the app displaying my custom menu bar and allowing me to type in the URL field. I suspect it has something to do with sharing history and settings through iCloud, although my Macbook doesn’t seem to suffer from delays. I don"t have any extensions running on either computer.

Somewhat related: I’ve just had to switch work machines (MacBook Pro battery replacement time…), and a clean install of High Sierra has left me with Safari 11: Is there a way to download the Safari 12.1.2 package update from anywhere, so that I can hold off on the Safari 13 update until I’ve got more time to deal with lack of extensions.

All the links I can find online are to CDNs and are now dead.

Can’t check this out at the moment, but you might want to try this Terminal command:

softwareupdate -i --products 061-45358

1 Like