Safari 13

Haven’t seen that issue so far. We use Google for everything here at work. Authentication so far appears to be working normally.

Good to know. I was intentionally generalizing because I had just been asked reauthenticate my Google account (I haven’t upgraded to Safari 13 yet) minutes before I saw the email thread about how adding new Gmail account wasn’t working. It sounds like I was overgeneralizing and the problem may be more specific.

I wouldn’t know about adding a new account. But authenticating an existing account at least for me appears to be working normally so far (Mojave, Safari 13). :crossed_fingers:

I love and use Inastpaper.
and
Yes the new Safari update broke the Instapaper extension.
You can still use the “Bookmarklet”,
How to save to Instapaper

I reached out to the Instapaper team and receive this reply:

Thanks for writing in. Our apologies for any inconvenience. We were already working on updated save methods for Safari and mac OS for the full Catalina release but it looks like Apple decided to surprise release the full Safari 13 update before the actual OS. We’ve accelerated our development work to get the new extensions live as soon as possible and the bookmarklet you’re currently using is the best workaround for the time being.

Rodion
Team Instapaper

I upgraded and then discovered the DuckDuckGo extension doesn’t work. Very unhappy.

Ever sine I installed Safari 13 on my Mojave Mac, my iOS 12 iPhone can no longer exchange iCloud tabs with it. Any ideas? I restarted both the Mac and the iPhone, but still no tabs display on the other device. :frowning:

1 Like

It appears to be broken in both IOS 13 and Safari 13. I opened tabs on my Mac desktop and laptop, both running Safari 13, my iPhone running IOS 13, and my iPad running IOS 12.x. I was not able to view remote tabs from any on the devices on another .

However, I normally use a better mechanism to work with tabs I have opened on one device on another one. I often open a bunch of tabs (usually from emails on one computer) and wish to switch devices while many of them are open. In the Bookmarks menu of Safari, there is an ‘Add Bookmarks for these ’n’ items…’ option. Choosing it allows you to set up a folder of bookmarks for the current tabs. When I am switching to another device, I select that item and then close and reopen Safari (clearing out all the current tabs, caches, processes, etc.). On the other device, the old tabs will be in a folder in the sidebar. If it is a Mac, I can control-click and open all the tabs in that folder and then delete it, and continue as before. On an IOS device, I open each item successively and delete it when I go to the next. Note that IOS 13 and iPadOS will add the same ability to crate a bookmark folder of tabs.

Thanks for confirming, Alan.

Interestingly enough, I have an older MBP here with HS (cannot update to Mojave) and its Safari 13 shares open tabs with my iOS 12 iPhone just fine in both directions. But that same iPhone and a Mojave Mac running Safari 13 refuse to share either way.

Bug report submitted. I really wonder how after all these trumped up beta and public beta programs such an obvious and simple bugs makes it all the way to GM release. :disappointed:

I’ve been using Better for several months. Seems to work everywhere, and just $1.99. https://better.fyi

Safari 13.0.1 has just been released! (System Preferences/Software Update)

I just installed 13.0.1 hoping it might fix the broken iCloud tab sharing. No dice. Still works on Safari 13.0.1 on HS, but still broken on Safari 13.0.1 on Mojave. :frowning:

On a more positive note, this update did fix the bug in 13.0 where if you middle-clicked on several links the separate tabs would open out of order. :+1:

DuckDuckGo extension doesn’t work

Is that with or without DDG set in Safari->Prefs->Search tab as the default browser?

I’m not at the computer where I experienced the problem, but as I recall, after I upgraded and tried to do a search, I received some error message related to DDG being a problem. I went to look at what extensions I had and DDG was gone. When I went looking to add it, it wasn’t in the list of possible extensions. The I went to the DDG website and it said it was not compatible with the new version of Safari.

I have a couple of friends who are using DDG and Safari v.13 via changing the Safari Prefs; not using the extension at all. Since the extension is no longer needed, you might try just changing the Safari Prefs, assuming you enjoy DDG as much as I do. :thinking: :grinning:

BTW, Safari is now at V. 13***.0.1***. Maybe Apple should have waited until Catalina? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You are correct. That’s fantastic. DDG is back in effect.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Gary

Lots more complaints about Safari 13 and extensions here:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/09/26/safari-13-and-extensions/

1 Like

Well, the extension problem is bad, but wasn’t a showstopper for me.

But with Safari freezing on me so much, I can’t use it anymore. Firefox here I come.

I too am unhappy with Safari 13, which I installed by accident. I tried to reinstall Safari 12 from a backup but that seemed not possible: everything I tried resulted in a message that it is not possible to remove or overwrite Safari because it is an essential part of the operating system.

I would be very happy if someone could explain how to reinstall Safari 12 or provide a pointer to a place where this is explained.

It’s extremely difficult. It’s even more difficult now with SIP than it was the last time I downgraded. You must replace the Safari app and the WebKit component files that reside in /System/Library, so the only way to do that is to disable SIP and then restore from backup. From my standpoint, it’s not worth the effort.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-