Runaway Apple Mail

Hey gang,

I’m curious as to what’s going on with Apple Mail on my 2019 MBP (MacOS 10.15.6). Whenever I launch it or switch to it, the processing goes crazy, the temperature quickly rises to about 200º, and the fans come on. When I quit, the temp drops back down to normal, around 115º.

There’s no real indication that Mail is even doing anything:
Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 9.51.04 AM

I composed and sent a very small, 5 line email, and in doing so, I used 4% of the battery!

Cheers!

From what I can gather by searching the internet, many people are having the same issue, but there’s been no mention of a fix that I’ve seen. This appears to only be happening on MacBook Pro, and I can confirm that it’s not happening on my iMac which has the same (9) email accounts, same version of Apple Mail, and same version of MacOS. Someone suggested that the issue is caused by Google accounts. I’ve disabled the 2 Google accounts that I have, and it’s helped slightly but not in any significant way.

I had that problem when I bought my 16”MBP. I solved it by deleting and re-creating a couple of Exchange accounts (while facing north-north-east and chanting).

I suspect it was the chanting that fixed it.

Jeremy

2 Likes

I did a little internet searching and tons of folks have had this silly issue. I’m contemplating switching to AirMail, as I’ve heard really good things about it, and at $10 per year, it’s quite affordable.