Yesterday I realized that I have a fairly large number of DVDs that I never watch for the simple reason that it’s too much work to find the DVD and turn on the DVD player (yes, I know … very sad ). So I started to look around for what to use for ripping them and found pages that just listed different programs without much mentioning of how well they work.
So I’m hoping that someone here has some experience with this, or perhaps point me to some resource where I can find out more.
My idea is
- rip the DVDs on my Mac mini
- move the files to my Synology
- play them using my Apple TV
Things I don’t have a clue about:
- what software to use on my mini
- what software to use on my Synology (the builtin stuff? Plex? …?)
- what software to use on my Apple TV
- what resolution the rip them in (720, 1080, …?)
- is there some copy protection stuff that could cause problems?
- anything else that don’t even know that it could be an issue
As you can see I have zero knowledge about this and I expected to find a lot of tutorials when I searched for info … but I failed … to my big surprise.
Does anyone have some advise?