Replacement of DragThing

(fahirsch) #1

I have been using DragThing for at least 8 years. It’s an app and file Launcher dock (http://www.dragthing.com). You drag files or apps to it and Alas, it’s a 32-bit app and by September-October 2019 it will be dead.
What other programs can replace it?

Francisco

(Adam Engst) #2

Have you asked James Thomson if he plans to update it? With over a year before it’s a problem, he might be considering it.

(Dave Scocca) #3

I tweeted at him this morning, and he confirmed that he has no plans for the rewrite that would be necessary to make DragThing a 64-bit application.

(fahirsch) #4

I asked him today and he answered the following:

The honest answer is, I don’t know what’s going to happen. DragThing is an old Carbon app, and 64-bit support still will require a complete rewrite. I don’t know if there is enough market out there for a new version. I would need to spend six months on it, at least, and that would be time I wouldn’t be spending on PCalc, which brings in the vast majority of my income…
10.14 will still run 32-bit apps however, so there’s another year and a bit.

Francisco

(Maximara) #5

The website now states the same thing. The thing is if you use Internet archive you get this little gem:

25th August 2009
“I want to say one quick thing about the 32-bit badges - just because an application is running as 32-bit doesn’t make it second cond-class in any way. This isn’t like Classic or Rosetta where applications were running slowly under an emulator - they still run the same speed they always used to run under Leopard. The main advantage of 64-bit is to allow access to very large amounts of memory - that’s important for some applications, but not so much for others. Indeed, this release of DragThing and the latest release of PCalc are both still 32-bit apps, and won’t be 64-bit for some time to come. Same goes for many third-party applications. People asked for the feature, and I’m adding it, but this isn’t a “badge of shame”, so please don’t treat it like one”

The handwriting was clearly on the wall back in 2009 or nine years ago so why wait to where you get to ‘be 64-bit or don’t work…at all’ stage?

Back to the OP original question: What other programs can replace Dragthing?

One can create a poor man’s Dragthing via the dock:

1. Create a folder with Aliases of the programs you want in a “drawer”
  2. Put the aliases into a folder
  3. repeat as often as necessary
  4. put these folders into another folder
  5. After moving this folder to another folder (it cannot be on the desktop) put this folder into the documents side of the Dock.
  6. Configure the resulting icon to view content by list
  7. Click on the icon to open the “drawers”

Yes this is nowhere as clean or smooth as Dragthing but at least baring apple changing how the dock works it will work past Sept 2019.

(Steve Dorner) #6

I found something called “DockShelf” which looks promising. Anyone tried it?

(Steve Dorner) #7

I haven’t used Keyboard Maestro’s palettes, but a quick check of their capabilities makes me think they might work. Much less convenient to build, but the basic functionality I use most is there.

I’d miss being able to drag things into palettes to create new items, as well as tabs & layers, but as a launcher and drag target, looks like it would work. And having Keyboard Maestro underneath adds all sorts of possibilities! Any DragThing fiends tried that?

(Adam Engst) #8

I just got a press release for Station 2.0, which looks like it would answer the needs of DragThing users too.

http://www.truenorthsoftware.com/station/

(Ryoichi Morita) #9

I’ve been using Station for some time now and am quite happy with it. It’s an excellent app for organizing your frequently used applications.

(Steve Dorner) #10

I use docks with icons, but also layered docks with text rather than icons. I also distribute them in various places around the screen. If Station can do that, the documentation doesn’t advertise it well.

You get so set in your ways with a tool you really like. You know?