Replacement of AccountEdge

There is a new version of AccountEdge Pro. They say it works on Mac OS from High Sierra to Monterrey and on Apple Silicon.

There is a new version of AccountEdge Pro. They say it works on Mac OS from High Sierra to
Monterrey and on Apple Silicon.

Except that itā€™s not really a Macintosh version of the software. It is their Windows version with some software added to make it run on the Macintosh. (Iā€™m guessing that itā€™s Wine.)

Call me a purist, but I prefer to support products with my dollars that come from companies who go through the trouble of actually creating a genuine Macintosh version of their product. I donā€™t want to be treated like an afterthought.

Itā€™s not like there arenā€™t plenty of alternatives to AccountEdge. See:

http://www.macattorney.com/accounting.html

1 Like

I donā€™t know what level of sophication AccountEdge is, but if you need more complex accounting than, say, Quickbooks, consider Connected.

I switched to it in the late 90s and have never looked back. I just installed the latest version this morning on Macs running from 10.14 to 11.6 (yes, it is easily multi-user).

Altho they now offer a cloud option, as well as Windows, weā€™re an all Mac business and it runs great as standalone.

I have NO connection with the company, merely met them at MacWorld in about 1996, and will continue to use them until I, or my business, drops dead.

Iā€™ve been using Account Edge since it was MYOB, or over 25 years I believe. Iā€™m still running Mojave as I havenā€™t wanted to change accounting systems, but just ā€œupgradedā€ to the new Account Edge Pro Network Edition. So far itā€™s a mixed bag. Company files were transferred and updated and I havenā€™t found any discrepancies. Works generally the same as the Mac Account Edge, some minor differences in what things are called but not really an issue. However, my biggest issue, besides running in a big gray box and being a generally ugly Windows program, is that itā€™s REALLY slow: windows sometimes take 5 - 10 seconds to open, clicking to bring a window to the front can also take seconds, scrolling through long lists (say of sales or purchases, or anything really) is painful. Even closing windows is sometimes slow. We donā€™t have the newest Macs (5 and 7 years old) so maybe thatā€™s the problem, but they run every other program fine. Iā€™ll probably keep using it as changing to a new system is not something Iā€™m interested in, and I have four companies and with Account Edge I only pay once. I certainly wouldnā€™t get it if I was starting, and I doubt many people will, so I wonder how long theyā€™ll even support this?

I have now completed a forced transition to MoneyWorks Gold from MYOB Accounting Edge after close to 30 years as its 32 bit version is no longer supported with latest Mac OS after Mojave 10.14.6 and with new Mac M1, M2 architecture.

Although it was a bit challenging to start with, I have to say I am very pleased with the end result.

As you have to learn and change old habits, it is not easy at first, but with time and hard work not really hard either.

MoneyWorks (MW) offer a free 45-day full version which gives you time to properly test the application.

The MYOB file converter works, but can get a bit messy, so I used it to recover contacts and chart of account, then deleted all the imported transactions, because it was easier to start with a clean file and just do one journal entering all the balances for the previous year.

I strongly recommend doing at least 2 to 3 times the good tutorial provided, this is definitely the only way to start.

The hardest thing in changing is unlearning how things were done in MYOB and replacing them with how MoneyWorks manages things, but with some practice it happens rather quickly.

I found at the start the following a bit annoying until I got used to it:

1. Transactions in MoneyWorks can be changed (or deleted) until they posted (then they have to be reversed using the Cancel command). When you post is up to you (although some things require a posted transaction ā€“ for example you canā€™t pay an unposted invoice). Very important to double check all detail, date, account etc of each transaction before posting them to avoid wasting time reversing them and re-entering them. (Although this is facilitated by the duplicate function).

2. Subtotalling: Within an invoice is not as easy as in MYOB. it is possible to display empty line for description and comment in an invoice (Heading in MYOB) by creating an item using the start sign *, which could be used to describe a summary at the end of invoice (Total Materials, Total Labour etc that would require a separate calculation I guess).

3. Heading Accounts in chart of account: The MoneyWorks Chart of Accounts is quite different to the hierarchical one in MYOB in that it is totally free form (the account codes only have the significance you want them to have). Instead, similar accounts can be grouped for totalling by the use of categories.

4. Customising invoices is a bit challenging, easier is to duplicate existing and modifying.

5. The visualisation is not as open as MYOB, but all the information is easily accessible once you learned where to look for it.

6. The recurring task in MYOB are listed but do not recur automatically which is convenient to work as a reminder, is handled differently in MW, recurring are automatically generated on their set date, youā€™ll need to open them change the date , amount and any relevant information before recording/validating them using the POSTING action, alternatively, you have the option to duplicate any transaction which I find more useful and a plus compared to MYOB, again only a matter of getting used to it.

MW offers many and very extensive reporting facilities and with plenty of customisation which would require support from the developer.

When I contacted support through a ticket, I did get it with good result and answers to most questions, MW also comes with an extensive manual.

For the Mac at least, and all Windows users as well, MoneyWorks is probably the best alternative for anyone who wants to master their own file.

1 Like