Problem with Daylight Saving Time in Apple Calendar

I want to set up events in April 2023 in Mexico City in my Apple Calendar on Mac. I am currently (November 2022) in Eastern Standard Time (EST). Mexico City is on Central time (CST), 1 hour behind EST. In April 2023 both my location and Mexico City will be on daylight saving time (EDT and CDT respectively).
However, when I create calendar events in April 2023 and select Central Time for the event the event is set up at 2 hours behind and is labelled CST not CDT.
Is this a bug in Calendar?
Should I select Floating Time for the event to ensure it appears at the right local time?
I can find nothing on the web explaining what Floating Time means so any help will be appreciated.

I don’t have the answer but I have had similar issues. When I’m in central time and trying to schedule an appointment back home in eastern time, it never seems to get it right. My solution was to add a note to the entry with the proper time so I can verify when back home.

As long as you’re creating events that you will see when you’re in Mexico City in April, yes, the floating time zone is what you want to use. That basically says, “whatever time zone I’m in, my lunch appointment at noon should always appear on my calendar as being at noon.”

You don’t want to use the floating time zone if you’re sharing the calendar with someone in Mexico City while you’re in New York. That way, if you set a phone call for 2 PM EST, it will appear in the other person’s calendar at whatever time that is in Mexico City.

I should write an article about this!

1 Like

Adam,

Many thanks. I’ll switch to floating. I’ve reported the issue to Apple as a bug but I have little confidence that it will be fixed.