Problem with Big Sur 11.2 and Luminar AI

Since I installed 11.2 yesterday, Luminar AI has refused to run. It starts up, says it’s updating its catalog, and if left alone it eventually “unexpectedly quits.”

I’ve left a query at the Luminar site, but was wondering whether anyone else here is having this problem.

The problem seems to be with Luminar not properly accessing its catalog of pictures. In the Luminar FB group this was posted from the company:

Make sure Luminarᴬᴵ is closed.

Locate your Luminar AI Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.

Rename the Luminar AI Catalog folder as well as Luminar AI Catalog.luminarai file inside this folder. Choose any name you like.

Start Luminarᴬᴵ. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar AI Catalog.luminarai file you’ve renamed in Step 2.

If the 4 steps above don’t help:

Make sure Luminarᴬᴵ is closed.

Locate your Luminar AI Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.

Rename the Luminar AI Catalog folder as well as Luminar AI Catalog.luminarai file inside this folder. Choose any name you like.

Open Finder.

Navigate to Applications > Utilities.

Launch Terminal.

Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarai

Press Enter on your keyboard.

Close Terminal.

Launch Luminarᴬᴵ. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).

I didn’t need the old catalog (new user with all the backups I needed), so I just deleted the old catalog, started Luminar AI up and created a new one. Now it works.

I just ran into something similar with Luminar 4, which might be related. If you move a folder in the Finder and Luminar doesn’t know about it, it gets really cranky—crashy-cranky. In my case, I got the dreaded exclamation point triangle icon indicating that Luminar can’t find the source files.

The solution is to right-click the folder in the sidebar, choose Locate Folder, and then point it at the new location. However, doing so immediately crashed the app.

I had moved my main folder of images (to work around a Luminar AI problem, actually). So, I duplicated the folder in the old location. Then, when I used Locate Folder in the app, it worked fine.

I don’t know what about the Big Sur file system that has Skylum so perplexed, but it’s pretty annoying.

1 Like