Power station for iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pro

I am going to be setting up a charging station in an alcove to charge a multitude of devices. I have decided to go with a USB C charger, since that will be the wave of the future. My wife still uses our MacBook Pro 13” early 2015. This has a MagSafe 2 connection and was wondering if anyone has tried the USB C to MagSafe connectors, since I plan to use converters from the USB male connections until everything is straight USB C.

Considering
Aioum USB C to Magnetic Suction 2 Generation T (T-TIP) T Type 45W 60W 85W for MacBook air pro with line 1.8m https://a.co/d/ckm4QoS

Or

AreMe USB C to Magnetic T-Tip Charging Adapter, Works with Type-C 100W Power Fast Charging Magnetic 2 T-Head Converter Compatible with 2013-2015 MacBook Pro Air Amazon.com

And something like the Anker charger, since 4 ports should be enough to shuffle devices.

Anker USB C 120W, 547 Charger, PowerPort III 4-Port Charging Station for MacBook Pro/Air, iPhone 13/13 Mini / 13 Pro / 13 Pro Max / 12, Galaxy, Pixel 4/3, iPad, iPad Mini, and More https://a.co/d/cttHm6h

Anyone have a similar setup for recommendations or gripes?

I generally buy Anker supplies as they’ve been around a long time and have always proven themselves as pretty bulletproof.

3 Likes

I’ve used two of these without any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZWB886/

I second the Anker recommendation.

2 Likes

And I like their 12 inch cables, which are great for these closed quarter spaces.

I love my Magfast charging system. I bought the Prokit before it was produced.

(this is not a link that I get a promotion from.)

I have been experimenting with USB-C to MagSafe 1 adapters for a few older MacBooks/MBPs, including models from AreMe and Apexsun. They seem to perform the basic job of charging the machines. They are larger than I expected and I am not satisfied with the fit of the adapters to the Macs. Although the AreMe adapter is a little better, both wobble quite a bit and disconnect too easily while the laptop is in use. The imperfect fit also makes me wonder about the quality of the internal circuitry. Maybe the MagSafe 2 adapters are better.

Unfortunately, Apple’s own chargers have notorious problems with cable fraying, and it is getting harder to justify the cost of genuine Apple replacements for older machines. I’d love to see a good quality third party solution, but Apple doesn’t license MagSafe tech, so any third party solution frankly is a little questionable from the beginning.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t had any of the problems you mention with the MagSafe2 cable I linked to above.

I can also add that despite many reports across the web that these USB-C to MagSafe2 cables/adapters only work with ≥60W power supplies, I have one old cheap 45W USB-C brick that’s been powering one of these MagSafe2 cables attached to a 2013 13" MBP since last year and it has never once had an issue. The brick doesn’t even get warm. And the MBP is easily kept at 100% charge during regular use. Obviously, it’s not doing any heavy 3D renders, but it gets regular office type use. No problems there.

And just one more little detail.

These USB-C to MagSafe cables often come in rather short lengths. In one instance I was able to extend the short MagSafe cable by adding a female-female USB-C coupler and another USB-C cable. The only thing to watch out for there is that orientation does matter. In such a configuration, if you connect everything and MagSafe doesn’t light up (and you see no charging), the USB-C plug at the end of the MagSafe cable needs to be turned around. Sounds odd, but makes sense considering how these things work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S292X2V

Not ten minutes before reading your message, I encountered this in the wild:

I’ll direct the hapless owner to this thread.

Ow. I’ve got cats who have chewed on power cords, but I would never leave them in that state.

When I need to repair damage, I wrap the affected area with Sugru, which does a good job of protecting the cable. Much better than electrical tape.

1 Like