With iOS 14.5, Apple broke the Podcasts app to the point where it is no longer usable.
More specifically, they changed it so it no longer shows only the most recent episodes. Instead, it shows everything from the podcast’s feed, which may contain thousands of episodes (for example, the Sean Hannity Show has 1686 episodes, going back to April 2016). You can configure the app to only show unplayed episodes, but there’s no command to mark everything as played, so you need to manually mark every single episode as played in order to get it to only show the newest episodes.
This is painful and I have no desire to click through thousands of episodes on the five podcasts I subscribe to in order to clean up the list.
So I’m looking for a new podcast app. Ideally, with the following features (most of which were in Apple’s older podcast app versions):
- Let me delete/purge the list of episodes so I only see those that were added afterward (I’m more than willing to jump through a few hoops if I need to recover from something I accidentally deleted).
- Let me decide whether to auto-download new episodes or not, providing a convenient way to manually trigger downloads.
- Let me play all new episodes for a single show or all new episodes overall (sorted by show and episode release date within that)
- Let me use my car stereo’s controls to skip forward/backward on this playlist. (Sadly, CarPlay doesn’t exist for iPod Touches)
- Have a companion Mac app with identical features that can sync status with it.
I haven’t found an app that does all this yet. Right now, I’m using Pocket Casts on iOS, but it doesn’t have a Mac version.
On the Mac, I’m using Mimir. It works, but it is missing the ability to automatically queue new episodes as they are discovered. It also doesn’t have a volume control, so I must change the system volume to adjust its output levels.
What does the community here recommend as an alternative to Apple’s Podcasts app?