Pining for the days of upgradable storage

I’d just like to look at this free space issue from a different angle. Recently my mid-2012 MacBook Pro was grinding to a halt as its 1TB hard drive had less than 80GB of free space and even a basic restart took 5 or 6 minutes, while spinning beachballs occupied 80% of my screen time. My nephew who works in IT said that in his company a hard drive that was over 70% full was declared a critical incident, so I decided I had to do something. Looking into the choice of replacement MacBooks and their possibilities for future upgrade I discovered that they all had fixed RAM and SSDs, with high end configurations costing an arm and a leg. My budget might just about stretch to a low end spec with 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD. What you buy is what whoever owns it will be stuck with until it goes to landfill. As you can probably guess, I’m not a graphic designer who upgrades his machine every 18 months, just a heating engineer and photographer using email and browsing the internet. I then remembered one of my customers years ago suggesting a Datadoubler, to replace my very rarely used optical drive with a second hard drive or SSD and I discovered his 5 year old link still worked. Result? My MacBook now has 2 x 2TB SSDs at a total cost of around £300 ($360). The second acts as a backup, daily with SuperDuper, mainly for my large photo archive, while the 16GB RAM I upgraded to in 2014 is still as good as ever. Spinning beachballs are a thing of the past and my superb 1992 accounts software, MYOB v.3.0 under Sheepshaver, simply zips along. Surely the built-in obsolescence of only supplying fixed RAM and SSDs should be outlawed? I am Anti Products with Fixed SSDs. Apple can never be carbon neutral while it maintains a product policy that misuses its monopoly position amongst aficionados of its platform for profit maximisation at the expense of the future of our planet. So how much free space have I now got? Errr…I’ve now got better things to do than spend any time worrying about that!