Pages 10.1, Numbers 10.1, and Keynote 10.1

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/watchlist/pages-10-1-numbers-10-1-and-keynote-10-1/

Updates all three iWork apps with new video capabilities and more. (Free, various sizes)

(I’m posting here because I first had the problem with Numbers 10.1.) How can I easily get to the bottom of a Numbers spreadsheet that just refreshed itself on an iPad?

When I make Numbers the active app on an iPad, sometimes it refreshes the active spreadsheet. (This is sometimes appropriate, because occasionally I have edited the spreadsheet on a Macintosh. The spreadsheet is stored in iCloud.) If Numbers has refreshed the spreadsheet, it seems to make the upper left cell visible on the screen. I typically want to edit in a cell near the bottom of the spreadsheet.

It used to be that I could edit the Numbers spreadsheet on my Macintosh, save it with the active cell near the bottom, and open it on the iPad with the active cell preserved. This was useful because then I could use the arrow keys on the iPad’s external keyboard to change the active cell, which would bring it into view. Numbers 10.1 does not preserve the active cell, the arrow keys have no apparent effect (until I select a cell, but I can only select a cell that I can see), and I scroll to the bottom by dragging repeatedly. (The spreadsheet has about 800 rows, is growing, and I shudder to think of the pain it would be to edit the spreadsheet on a screen the size of the original iPhone SE.) I believe the new behavior is related to the new reading mode (I don’t know what Apple calls it, but the counterpart is Edit mode), but I’m not sure.

Repeating the opening question, how can I easily get to the bottom of a Numbers spreadsheet that just refreshed itself on an iPad? Thanks for any help.

(Edited to add that Numbers 10.2 for Macintosh requires Catalina, which I plan not to install. I would like to use the same version of Numbers on both the Mac and the iPad.)