Osascript Login items

After I updated to Ventura 13.2, I received 5 notifications of osascript being added as Login items. And when I checked, sure enough, there are 5 instances of it. I just updated to 13.2.1, and received the same notifications. Anyone else experiencing this? They all point to /usr/bin/osascript

My “no-way-in-hell-production Ventura volume” has lots of login items I can find no explanation for, haven’t seen “osascript” yet, but haven’t had a lot of incentive to boot it lately.

Yes. I don’t recall this notification on 13.2, but I may have forgotten. I did get one notification on the 13.2.1 update. Looking at my scheduled jobs, I do have one that uses osascript to run an AppleScript I wrote to delete old files in a couple folders. It just seems odd that the notification appears to label osascript itself as an “Item from unidentified developer.” It is, of course, an Apple-authored utility for running scripts from the command line. :slight_smile:

I am experiencing the same with the recent update to Ventura. Two oddities. First, Ventura warns that it is an “Item from an unidentified developer”, even though its code clearly identifies it as an Apple product. Second, 3 instances of it appear in the Login items list, yet every one of them points to the same single file in /usr/bin/.
After the update, Ventura flagged a dozen other Login items as “unknown developer”, all with names of well-known developers, such as “Microsoft”. Their created/modified dates went as far back as 2010. So, I deleted them, with no repercussions. This behavior by Ventura is new.

Howard Oakley just had an article about this topic.

2 Likes

Good article (as always, it seems). Only thing I’d add is a plug for a tool I’ve used for years to tame background tasks, ever since Apple moved from cron to launchd managed: LaunchControl from soma-zone ($21, unlimited free trial period).

I also liked Howard Oakley’s article. A good read.
I’ve just finished upgrading my 3 Macs(Mac mini, MacBook Pro and iMac Retina (27") to Ventura.
Initially one of them also added a few “Osascript Login Items.
BUT - I’ll have to admit I might be a “special case” :crazy_face: because I actually upgrade Apple Ventura unsupported hardware through OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP). So I might be getting a bit “off topic” here.
Anyway - I found weird that it was the newest Mac - the iMac - that had the “issue”
Then it occurred to me that the iMac also had the longest update history of the three.
So - making sure I hade a complete backup - I decided to do a clean “OCLP Ventura Install” *)
And watch and behold - although 2 prompts to let " Osascript” to its business which I allowed:
No more “Osascript Login Items” - So the “age” of your original install in addition to your actual hardware may be an issue.
And no… I have no other explanation. :interrobang:
It just prompted me to do that same on the remaining two Macs (having full back-ups in place).
And now I’ve have three - although Apple MacOS Venura unsupported systems running nice and responsively.
I guess I should compile my reasons for and experiences doing this and put it on Tidbit-Talks.
*) Oh… By the way… Did I fail to mention the importance of having a full back-.up :thinking: I think not :innocent: Just make sure you have it. :vulcan_salute:
Cheers
Willy Sejr

A warning on the the LaunchControl download page reads:
“Due to a bug in macOS Ventura, LaunchControl is not compatible with macOS Ventura 13.1 (22C65).”

Same behavior here. Using the Terminal command supplied by Howard Hoakley to do a BTM dump, I discovered all my “osascripts” are a result of having installed (and used) Cocktail and Onyx. In order to do their functions, these scripts are evidently required.

I also noticed some OWC (Other World Computing) disk drivers listed as background items being classified as from an “unidentified developer”, but Hoakley says that’s because that identification comes from the certificate. Other identification info in the BTM dump shows they’re indeed from OWC. That just surprised me a little because I consider OWC to be pretty professional, and having yourself listed as “unidentified” seems a little sloppy to me.

In general, having these notifications pop up after a system software update, especially when they all say “osascript” from an “unidentified developer” is not only annoying but so vague as to be singularly unhelpful. I would say this qualifies for a “Bad Apple” award.

Thanks for sharing this Adam. In doing the BTM, I saw that it was an old installation of Cocktail that was causing my issues. Removing it, resolved everything.

Cheers!

A lot of software installers and updaters use AppleScript or other “Open Scripting Architecture” scripts to do their jobs, and that means invoking osascript. Unfortunately, that also means we’ll probably be seeing more and more of these notifications. I’ve found Lingon to be good tool for tracking down Login Items and Background Items.