Optional feature? Edit jumps to selection

I just realized a feature I could really use here is if you hit edit, the section of your post selected gets highlighted in the edit window too. If you have a long post and while re-reading you realize there’s a typo, presently you click on edit. Now you have to go find that typo in the smaller edit panel (can be resized, but requires extra click and doesn’t persist across edits) at the bottom. It would be nice if you could just highlight your typo and then hit edit for the edit panel to jump straight to your selection and highlight it as well.

Obviously, this is something that needs to be supported by Discourse. But the idea appears so obvious to me, others must have already thought about it and I wonder if it’s maybe available as an option or plugin (no idea how Discourse works).

2 Likes

Right now, if you select text in any post, you get a Quote button for your reply. What I think you’re asking for is that if you select text in your own post and then click Edit, you’d scroll to that section. That seems reasonable, and I can suggest it on https://meta.discourse.org/ to see what the developers say.

1 Like

That’s exactly right, Adam. I think the quote button is great and wouldn’t want to miss it. But if instead of hitting the quote button, you hit edit, it would be nice to see that selection also selected in the edit panel.

I can’t imagine this idea hasn’t already come up. I was hoping it might be an existing option. But if not, it would of course be great if you could suggest it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to see the discussion.

1 Like

Awesome! :slight_smile: Thanks, Adam.

1 Like

And as you’ll see there, Jeff Atwood said “It’s a very good idea!” So it might even happen!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a pretty awesome response time. :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Hallelujah! I just realized this has now been implemented. :slight_smile:

Select any part of your own post and you are given the immediate shortcut to edit that selection. :+1: Thank you, Discourse devs. :thank_you:

1 Like

And in fact, with my level of permissions, I get that Edit link on everyone’s post! :slight_smile:

1 Like