OmniFocus 4.05

4.0.5 looks like the version of OmniFocus 4 that is really “ready for prime time”, now.

Omnigroup has been preparing a completely re-written version of OmniFocus 3 since early in 2023, appearing first as a beta in the fall, followed by the new version’s release as OmniFocus 4.01 in December.

I tried it then (OmniFocus 4 can be run on the same system as OmniFocus 3; they’ll even synchronize together, along with OmniFocus running elsewhere on iOS or iPadOS). Only to discover some rather annoying glitches quickly apparent in others’ new App Store reviews.

4.0.1 was subsequently followed by a succession of bug fix updates over about 2 months: 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, and then 4.0.5 (about a month ago).

I tried it again at rev 4.0.5 and haven’t found obvious glitches; so I’ve paid to upgrade it, removed my old OmniFocus 3 apps, and am continuing to use the new version every day.

OmniFocus 4 is a completely re-written re-programmed app, as a Universal app with a remarkably consistent UI across MacOS, iOS, and iPadOS – a UI noticeably less idiosyncratic, and more usable than V3. A very good idea IMHO with the wide range of configurable features, tending to create what I’d call “settings overload”.

V4 doesn’t have much in the way of new features vs. V3. But all its features are a lot more usable (and configurable) than in V4.

Frankly, V4 will primarily be of interest to current V3 users.

[If you are happy with the Remarks app, Things 3, or Todoist, or similar program, OmniFocus will have quite a learning curve; might lack your favorite features, and will certainly be more expensive. All of those apps have significantly different UIs. And Things 3, for example, has somewhat better calendar integration, and Todoist seems to be built around much more calendar integration. The cost of a new OmniFocus license ($74 v4 standard, $149.99 v4 Pro) or the alternative subscription ($4.99/month standard, $9.99/month Pro).

Current V3 users will like the fact that a single license purchase or subscription (through a Mac, at least) provides licensing for iOS/iPadOS and watchOS systems as well. [Earlier versions of OmniFocus required buying separate licenses or subscriptions for each different platform; although once bought, they would give years worth of access to Omnigroup Sync – essential to syncing any Omnigroup program across different systems.]

For those currently using V3, the new pricing may still seem to be something of a sticker shock, but the cost of an upgrade license is only 1/2 of a new license. [How to get the V4 upgrade license varies, depending upon how you bought your V3 license (directly from Omnigroup or through Apple’s App Store). I had to get help from OmniFocus Support to find my old V3 license – which turned out to actually have been a V2-to-V3 Pro upgrade license. They took a few days to get back to me, but Support turned out to be very helpful in saving me $74.99.]

Once you have the Mac version of OmniFocus V4 up and running, that’s when to download (for free) OmniFocus V4 for iOS/iPadOS. Log into those with the same Omnigroup login as the Mac version, and those should recognize the same License or Subscription as the Mac version.

Bob

1 Like