Nuance Has Abandoned Mac Speech Recognition. Will Apple Fill the Void?

So, the answer to this article’s title question might be a “yes!” At the recent announcement of the next Mac OS a new feature called Voice control was announced. It sounds like this feature will allow voice-based control of the mouse, via commands and a grid. It seems that customisation of the base vocabulary will also be possible, so that novel words can be added. There will also be the ability There will also be the ability to correct dictation errors and to correct dictation errors comma Using voice only comma Using voice only along similar lines to the nuances Dragon NaturallySpeaking along similar lines to the Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Most important for me will be in dictation accuracy. What does everyone else think about this development?

3 Likes

I as you may guess I am very excited. macOS Voice Control looks very promising. I will be trying the public beta when it’s made available so I can help give feedback. I hope others do as well.

Dragon Dictate in use (with the hope of Voice Control soon). Occasionally mistakes are made. I correct the ones I notice…

2 Likes

Not necessarily true. Note that Apple supports iTunes and Filemaker on Windows

Hi everyone,

I’m in the UK and I am a full-time wheelchair user. I’m a reasonably good typist, but benefit from the use of dictation software. Has anybody managed yet to use the voice control features in the new Mac OS? What do you think of them, is the transcription reliable? I would do this myself, but, I have only one Mac, and don’t really want to risk it on the beta. Also I note that the enhanced Siri transcription engine will not be available with UK English, what impact do you think this will have? Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.

I am an American and am handicapped, and also the victim of taking Lyrica - a drug prescribed for Neuropathy. It has a published “possible” side effect of tremors. Well I got tremors alright, to the point that most of the time I cannot type.

I would VERY much like to use speech recognition on my iMac. Speech recognition is significantly better better under IOS, but I’m not sure about the overall success of editing errors and moving the the final data to the data to the Mac for use.

Yeah, I’m very interested to hear from people like you and @tscheresky how well Voice Control’s editing tools work. I plan to try them extensively myself, but I’ll unavoidably have a different perspective and I never seriously used Dragon Dictate before.