No Email Issue on 21 June 2021 for New Staff Onboarding

Originally published at: No Email Issue on 21 June 2021 for New Staff Onboarding - TidBITS

We’re taking a brief break from building an email issue of TidBITS next week to make way for the latest addition to the Centers family, so look for the next issue in your mailbox on 28 June 2021.

9 Likes

Times have changed.

When my sister was born with a similar condition, we were just told to put her crib next to the window. It worked fine, but I suspect it took longer.

Of course, most homes today have UV-blocking glass so maybe that wouldn’t work well today.

They can’t charge you for that :-)

1 Like

Eight years! One of the greatest things I ever did accidentally was reply to you on Twitter, clearly!

6 Likes

See, I’m all Glenn’s fault! :sweat_smile: Thank you Glenn, I’ve tried to make the most of it.

3 Likes

My daughter Sophia Susana was put under gro-lights too, back in 1990. There was a whole room full of 'em, catching a few rays, wearing tiny sunglasses.

Best wishes, Josh. At last, a daughter! It doesn’t get any better.

1 Like

Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family. :+1::+1:. I hope that this new one is healthy and brings joy to your home.

1 Like

Congratulations to you Josh and Hannah on Betsy’s arrival. A baby girl… treasure, doesn’t get much better. Hope Mom is well too.

4 Likes

Sorry to be pedantic, but as a paediatrician I feel the need to correct a common misunderstanding. The lights used for phototherapy for jaundice use light in the blue (i.e. visible) spectrum, not ultraviolet light. From memory, I think the most efficient wavelength is about 460nm. Sometimes phototherapy uses white light, but only because that of course contains blue light. As an Australian, I occasionally get to experience the effect of exposing skin to UV light first-hand, and it’s not pretty!
For more information:
http://brochures.mater.org.au/brochures/mater-mothers-hospital/baby-jaundice-and-phototherapy

2 Likes

Congratulations to you both Josh and Hannah. Welcome Betsy!! What joy for you all!

Interesting, thanks. So what are the goggles for?

The intense light can damage newborn eyes.