New iPhone 12 Questions

Hi, A couple of questions, We are getting an I phone 12 Mini in the next day or two, I share the phone with my husband so that is where the questions come in.
Background we both have macs, I also have an I pad. We each have an Apple ID an we have another one that we use for shared apple store stuff.

1. can we have two people on the facial recognition - I saw the alternate view could that be the 2nd person

2. what is the best way to share contacts?

3. We now have a cheap android flip phone. I know how to take the sim card out of it question is how hard to put the sim card into the new iPhone and does someone know where I can find out how.

4. good book for iPhone newbies.

Thanks to the group

The answer depends on how you feel about Family Sharing and if you are confident is managing your devices. You already know how to use a third Apple ID for store login.

Apple Way: Use Family Sharing

Alternate way, using your App Store Apple ID to be the Apple ID for Contacts:

• In System Preferences|Settings > Apple ID > iCloud, do not check Contacts
  • Add the App Store Apple ID to Internet Accounts
  • Enable only Contacts, not mail, for the App Store Apple ID
  • In Contacts > Groups|Settings > Contacts, select only the App Store Apple ID

This method has been used successfully since well before Family Sharing was released. Note that Calendars are shared differently on a per calendar basis via private sharing (subscription) for each calendar, not by direct sharing as for Contacts.

This page shows the location of the SIM card slot on iPhone models and describes how to use a SIM ejection tool or a paper clip to open the SIM slot drawer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201337

Is there a shared family way to share contacts with a family plan? I know that there are shared calendars and reminder lists, but I don’t think that there is such a thing for contacts - unless I have overlooked it. I think that shared contacts and shared photo libraries are things that I wish Apple would work on for family sharing.

I’ve not read this book specifically, but both the author and the book series are very good. :wink: There’s a free sample that includes at least some of the “iOS Crash Course” chapter, so you can download that and see if it suits you before paying for the book.

This approach (using a separate account for your contacts) will work for any network/cloud-based contacts server you like.

My devices all use my Google/GMail contacts (via the CardDAV protocol). I do this so I can share contacts with my Android phone and the GMail web interface, but there’s no technical reason why I could add it to other people’s devices as well.

Following this pattern, you could set up a contacts database using any service (including many free-mail servers) and add it to your phone using a sharing protocol (like CardDAV, LDAP and others).

I’m pretty sure you could also just add each others’ iCloud accounts as secondary accounts (configured for contacts only) to your phones.

Regarding a book for getting started, be sure to download Apple’s free iPhone User Guide. It’s in the iBook store (‎iPhone User Guide on Apple Books), and can be downloaded/read from any Apple device.

1. Yes…alternate appearance works fine.

2. You could merge your two contact lists on your Macs and put them in his and hers groups…or you could create a new iCloud ID with a composite contact list. It might be possible to get 2 different iCloud accounts contacts on the iPhone but I don’t know of a way…maybe Apple or google search for if it’s possible.

3. The Take Control series of books…takecontrol.com…likely has one and I think David Pogue has one as well…but thee are dozens of get to know your iPhone articles on the web…Macworld.com…cultofMac.com and many others.

4. Paper clip for SIM removal…google the model you have for specifics.

How old is that flip phone? Might want to make sure it has a Nano-SIM. If it still uses the older larger Micro-SIM, you can get a replacement Nano-SIM from your cellular provider.

1 Like

You are correct and presenting a scenario for discord. It is imperative that, between cooperation persons, that one single contact list be used. Otherwise, it is not only possible, but probable, that confusion will occur as to which contact list is which. The use of a single master contact list (where master refers to the Apple ID) has been proven over the years (from before Family Sharing) as effectively minimizing that confusion. Keeping one Apple ID contact lists empty enforces this.

Shared contacts is something I have wished for since the early iPhones. It could be easily done through the existing iPhone UI as a contact group - the user decides which groups to share with others, just like sharing some calendars.
I realise that managing this feature through cloud services is a task for Apple but I am sure it would be popular.
Maybe I should submit this as feedback to Apple…(done!)

1 Like

Apparently Fruux.com does contacts sharing. Free for 2 users. It’s been around for ages, but I’ve never used it.

https://fruux.com/

Yes and current SIMs have features newer phones expect. I’d definitely be seeking a fresh SIM.

I did it last week, the new iPhone comes with the tool to pop out the SIM card cradle. As @Simon mentions, before trying to pull it out of your Android phone, verify that it’s the same size as the iPhone. If it’s the same size, it’s very simple to transfer the SIM card, but it’s small, so you should do it on a table or desk. Also, verify whether your cell phone provider has its own telephone profile for iPhones. This prevented me from connecting to the 4G network until I could get to a wifi signal to download and install the profile. That said, I didn’t run into the same problem with the travel SIM card I used when visiting the US a few years back, so my provider here in Japan may be unique.

5G among them, if your carrier offers it. Your old card is very unlikely to support that. The card in my 12 Mini is labelled “X3.”

Ejecting the tray takes a good, solid push on the tool, and as @ted1 notes, the card is teeny and easy to lose track of.

You can only sign into iCloud with one appleid on an iPhone. They were not designed to be shared. Family sharing doesn’t share contacts, there is no way with the Apple software that comes with the phone to share contacts between Apple IDs. If you need any help at all give AppleCare a call 1-800-275-2273.

It has been said, “You can only sign into iCloud with one appleid on an iPhone.” This is certainly true for the “owner” (primary user) of an iPhone. This is the ID that appears at the top of the Settings screen and that shows on Find My locations.

By using Settings > Mail > Accounts, additional email addresses, including Apple IDs, can be added for limited uses, such as contacts and email. This works quite similarly to the Internet Accounts preferences on macOS. For example, my Developer login, an Apple ID different from my primary and personal Apple ID, allows receiving developer email along with my .mac email on my iPhone.

1 Like

To add to what James said, a family could add an extra Apple ID (or even a Google account or a Microsoft account or any account that can sync contacts) for the sole purpose of creating a shared contact address book. Each member of the family could add that account to their device and use it to sync those contacts only. It would take a bit of discipline when adding contacts to make sure that you add them to the correct address book, though.

It’s an issue of (sometimes confusing) terminology.

A device can only be “signed in to” one iCloud account at a time. This is the ID at the top of the settings screen. It affects a wide variety of system features.

But for certain apps (mail, contacts, calendars, notes, etc.), you can add additional accounts (both iCloud and third-party) via the “Passwords & Accounts” settings screen.

The important distinction is that iOS itself does not “sign in” to these additional accounts. They are simply a repository for access credentials so the associated apps can use that access.

It’s very similar to the behavior on macOS. A single user account can only be “signed on” to one iCloud account (the one accessed via the “Apple ID” preference panel on Catalina and other similar panels on other macOS releases), but you can use the “Internet Accounts” panel to store access credentials that may be used by specific apps (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, etc.)

My Sim was only 6 months old and it was the right size, I have that in and phone is working Now to set up all the other stuff.

Thank you everyone for all the ideas.

Lynn

1 Like