Mojave, Apple Mail, and Google mail

(Will M) #1

Since installing Mojave 10.14.4 on my MacBook, Apple Mail 12.4 requires me to authenticate with Google through Safari every time I start Mail. I’m certain that the old version of Mail allowed me to store my Gmail password in Mail > Preferences > Accounts, but the new version seems not to have a field for the password. Any suggestions? (I looked for this issue in the other topics and couldn’t find it; if it’s there, please provide a pointer.)

0 Likes

(Adam Engst) #2

There have been a variety of Gmail-related issues since 10.14.4, but it was thought that Google fixed it on the back end. That may not be true. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Doug Miller) #3

I think it was a few years ago that Apple started offering using the System Preferences / Internet Accounts settings to set up mail authentication. I am using Mojave 14.3 (I haven’t updated to 14.4 yet) and I had to re-authenticate to all of my Gmail and GSuite accounts starting two days ago with the first time that Mail tried to access the account. I was guessing that Google did something to force re-authentication of all accounts. That said, all of may Macs have also forced me to re-authenticate my Apple ID to the iTunes Store in the last two days as well.

Anyway, I have all of my Google accounts set up in System Preferences / Internet Accounts and have to be prompted to re-authenticate since the first prompt on each account.

0 Likes

(Will M) #4

Thanks for the follow-up, Adam. To be clear, I seem to have no problem getting my Gmail in Apple Mail after I authenticate through Safari; it’s just that I needed to authenticate every time I started Mail. The linked article wasn’t clear if users could not get Gmail or simply had to jump through extra hoops to get Gmail.

I don’t understand what you mean by “set up mail authentication.” When I look at System Preferences > Internet Accounts, I don’t see anywhere to enter a password for Gmail. (As I said, I also don’t see anywhere to enter a Gmail password in Apple Mail’s Preferences, and I’m sure it used to be there.)

FWIW, as far as I know, I don’t use GSuite, only Gmail.

Are you saying you needed to authenticate once or every time you use Gmail or GSuite?

On a bit of a tangent, you caused me to look at System Preferences > Internet Accounts, which I hadn’t done for a long time. I now have an account that says Game Center under my iCloud address. Is this some benefit of Mojave? Is there any reason I shouldn’t delete it? Why does it have its own entry rather than being included under iCloud?

And a late-breaking follow-up: I just quit and relaunched Apple Mail and did not get prompted to authenticate using Safari. Maybe my problem has gone away.

0 Likes

(Doug Miller) #5

When I set up the account for mail (and calendar, contacts, etc.), I clicked on the big “Google” to the right and went through the process of using Safari to authenticate to my Google accounts (I have two Gmail accounts and four GSuite accounts) and select “Mail” as an option to sync. Now if there are password issues, it uses the same Safari process to authenticate the account and give permission to the Mac to access the Google account. I don’t use Mail preferences to manage the password at all (the accounts are all listed in Mail Preferences / Accounts, but, as. you say, there is no place to enter a password for the Google accounts.)

No, it was once for each of the six accounts starting late Monday and first thing yesterday when I opened the MacBook from sleep. Since then I have not had to re-authenticate.

0 Likes

(Will M) #6

Thanks for that explanation; it sounds like what Mail was asking me to do.

Evidently, whatever glitch that was requiring me to authenticate each time has been fixed. I hope it stays that way.

0 Likes